Cabinet Router Bits question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDN_Maple

New User
ETN
I am looking to purchase a raised panel cabinet bit set. Most sets come with 5 or 6 bits to make rail and styles, raised panels, drawers, glue joints etc. I've seen a set by MCLS for a reasonable price and they also offer Katana bits at a comparable price. The other day, I found some on ebay and amazon - the sets available were from brand name such as Neiko (blue bits), CMT (orange bits), or Precision (yellow bits).

Has anyone used the Neiko, CMT or Precision bits and what are your suggestions / comments?

I have heard good things about the MCLS and Katana bits, would those be a better buy?

I don't think I would use the bits enough to buy Freuds at this point. Making cabinets is not my profession, but at the same time, I do not want to buy junk just so I have to buy new bits again in a couple of years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2slow

New User
chris
I’ve never used Neiko or Precision. I do own a few MLCS, Never had any problems with them. I’ve got one CMT. Seems like a fine bit. I’ve got some Eagle American also. They also seem like fine bits. My cabinet set is Freud. Its over 20 years old and still working great. I would say that you only need a 3 piece set, maybe 4 if you get a separate backcutter. I never use the other bits in my set. I don’t even remember what they are.:gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
ETN

Have have had the MLCS 6 piece Cabinet Makers set for a number of years and have been very pleased with it. It is on sale this week too!:icon_thum:icon_thum

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set6cab.htm

They offer free shipping all the time too!

Out of the 6 piece set, i primarily use the panel cutter, rail & stile pair and drawer lock bits. The glue joint and door lip bits; not so much.

I have done quite a few raised panels in poplar and oak and the bits perform quite well. (Just finished 8 raised panels yesterday in QSRO and they did fine.

As a matter of fact practically my whole bit arsenal are MLCS bits.

Wayne

DWSmith

New User
David
I had, stress the word HAD, a rail and stile set from MLCS once, long time ago. When I used it the first time a piece of carbide flew off one of the cutters and MLCS denied any sort of a claim. Nothing like a piece of carbide whizzing past your hands at light speed. They are on my crap list!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a lot of MLCS bits including raised panel door bits. I've had no problem with them. I think CMT bits and Whiteside are better, I don't know about Freud. I have an old Grizzly cope and stick bit where you unscrew the cutters and switch them around to change from one to the other. It works and I made a bunch of doors with it but rarely use it at this point. I have used a stacked MLCS set for a lot of doors more recently. I like not having to change bits, just adjust the height of the bit. The panel raiser I've used most recently is also from MLCS. The room I am in has 6 raised panel doors built with these bits. Downstairs there is a whole mini-kitchen made with them. The bathroom cabinet in the basement was also made with them. I also use a edge treatment bit from MLCS on the doors.

I would not buy a dovetail bit from MLCS or any of the cheaper brands. It necks down below the cutter and the inexpensive one's I've purchased have broken at that point. I am using a CMT at the moment and it is going strong after making a bunch of drawers. I would also trust a Whiteside. This is an inexpensive bit so it doesn't pay to "go cheap". Panel raisers and cope and stick bits are a lot more expensive and a lot sturdier in my experience.

For most things MLCS are plenty good enough.

The bits for panel raising, cope and stick and if you want to shape the outside edge of the doors that are in the sets are useful. The others are nearly useless IMHO. Butt joints on the panels glue-up work just fine. For painted doors I use MDF. You also do not need special bits for glass doors. I just use a rabbetting bit to remove the backside of the sticking to create a rabbett for the glass after the door is glued up. Then I make an L shaped moulding to hold the glass in that I pin in place. Works great and takes no extra bits.

Jim

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Eagle America is a fairly new advertiser, how is there stuff?

I will be in the market soon for bits as well.

2slow

New User
chris
Eagle America is a fairly new advertiser, how is there stuff?

I will be in the market soon for bits as well.

I've been very happy with the ones I've got. They sell two types. A high end, American made and a lower end imported.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've purchased a few simple bits from Eagle, usually the ones they have on special for really low prices. I have had no issues with them, they work fine.

Jim

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Also recently purchased a rail/style set from Eagle. I also purchased an undersized ply kit (reduced groove cutter, and spacers) for use with them. Since I hadn't planned to use the set regularly, I opted for the China version at 20 bucks less. They worked OK, EXCEPT... I bought the 5mil kit and not the 5.5mil kit, so I had to shave the ply panels before glue-up. Go figure!

This is the 2nd or 3rd bit purchase I made from Eagle. Since I needed the bits "yesterday", they upgraded the postage for free. Ya gotta like that!

What I've found with router bits, as with most things is you get what you pay for. I don't expect to use the set that often, so is why I chose the China version. If I were selecting a bits for heavy use, I would also consider the Freuds 4-cutter bit selection they have that reduces chip-out. Most any bit, if not used often, will do the job. Cheaper bits just don't work well for very long.

good luck,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS