Cabinet-grade ply in Raleigh area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Where do y'all go in the Raleigh area for cabinet-grade plywood?

I'm about to start a project for which I need several sheets (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4). Oak, BB, whatever - as long as it will remain flat. Of course, since it is a shop cabinet, I'm on a budget. 5x5s don't fit on my trailer well :(

I found Birch, Blondewood and Sandeply at loews/hd, but not in all the sizes I need. I'd be ok with the birch from Lowes, but I'd need to find a store with all 3 sizes.

TIA!
Chris

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Forget the birch from Lowes. It is that Chinese crap (polite wording.) HD carries Columbia Forest Products 3/4 birch in a B-3 grade. Made in Old Fort, North Carolina. Look through the bundle though as some sheets are better than others . Also, they are usually willing to "cut a deal" on a damaged sheet. For 1/4" birch, look at Lowes 5.2 MM under layment. Often it has a birch face on one side, while the other is trash. Baltic birch can be found at Wurth (AKA Raleigh Hardwoods.) When my truck isn't available, I just take the necessary tools with me to break down a sheet of BB. This includes circular saw, straight edge guide with clamps, drop chord, and some scrap 2 X 4's to support sheet. Of course if money isn't an object, Capital City Lumber can take care of all your needs, along with all your money.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Builders Discount in Wendell also has some nice birch ply....bout 40 a sheet for 3/4 the last time i was there.. and the Hardwood Store will ship to Raleigh for 35 buckaroo's..........not bad with gas as high as it is:eusa_clap

rhett

New User
rhett
Horizon Forest products is far cheaper than Wurth's on all the same hardwood and plywood. They are about 2 miles away from Wurth Group.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Horizon Forest products is far cheaper than Wurth's on all the same hardwood and plywood. They are about 2 miles away from Wurth Group.

They are???? I will check them out!

Hey Rhett, you going to Berea for the Pop woodoworking conference?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Hardwood Store will ship to Raleigh for 35 buckaroo's..........not bad with gas as high as it is:eusa_clap

I didn't know they shipped to Raleigh that cheap! Thanks.

I see they have "Paint Grade" plywood -- has anyone used this? Since this is for a shop cabinet, I not particular on the appearance - I just want it flat and stable. I had planned to finish it with something anyway - and was considering paint anyway.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS