Bowl Turning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am turning my first "deep" bowl. I have a JEt 1642 lathe. I can reverse the motor on this model. Is it ok to do this so I can work on the inside of the deeper part of the bowl AND thus have a better line of sight to the portion I am working? Is there a danger here? Anything I need to consider?

Thanks,

Doug

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I guess it's possible. I think the threads are your biggest concern. You have to make sure the chuck is very secure. I only use reverse for low speed sanding operations, so I'm have no experience with turning in reverse.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I tried that a couple times and found it very awkward. I couldn't get the tool angle right.

Can you stand on the backside of your lathe? I can't because mine is bolted to the floor close to the wall. So, I lean way over the bed and do just a little at a time.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
My PM came with a face plate that has set screws to secure the FP. this allows reverse turning. If you use a chuck you need some way to keep it from unthreading as you cut. could be a bad day......... :gar-Bi

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
The Jet has a set screw on it as well. I also have a Jet 1642 and did my first "big, deep" bowl this week. I slid my headstock down to the end so I could stand looking into the bowl and not have to lean over the ways. Sure made a difference, especially on my back.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
The biggest problems I have with deeper bowls are getting the chips out (air would be great but I have no compressor), stabilizing the toolespecially if your top opening is small (long/ balanced tools helped), and gauging depth ( I made a simple depth measure - after I came through a few bottoms).
As Mike mentioned I work at the end or back of the lathe a lot.
Turning in reverse might work but the thought sure seems awkward unless I could work left handed.

woodturnerdon

New User
Don
Never tried reverse turning. I always slide the headstock down to the end also. Mine is too close to the wall. I'd be very interested to know how it works out if you try it. Sounds dopey, but please be careful, that sounds like it takes a little getting used to.
Don

sawduster

New User
Robert
I move to the end of my lathe regardless of the depth . Helps keep the shavings out of my mouth :gar-La;

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
The reverse on your lathe is really intended to speed sanding. I'd try standing on the other side of the lathe if you need to see better while using a scraper (taking light cuts) on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors