bowed 1/2" plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Now, no laughing out loud, here's a newbie question for the brain-trust. I have some sheets of 1/2" ply I would like to use on ATV utility boxes. Most boxes are about 12"Hx12"Dx33"W with a hinged lid. The problem is, my ply was stored on edge but still has managed to develop a bow in it:eusa_doh:. I have cut small kerfs in solid wood to solve this problem but only when the kerfs didn't show. I can't do it on these lids because the kerfs will show. Is there any other way to get the bow out or am I doomed to cut it into little pieces for smaller projects? TIA for your suggestions.
Randy

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Probably doomed to cut into smaller pieces, unless you can use a cleat on the under side of the lid to flatten it out. You might try placing the sheet down on something bow up and weight it down flat for a while, that might help.
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Dave, I tried weight for over a week but couldn't really tell much difference. I was hoping someone had discovered a new method ie; steaming/soaking etc.... Thanks for the suggestion.
Randy

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
once you've cut the sheets to size you may take enough of the bow out to make them usable. otherwise, cleats like like daveo suggests would work, they probably wouldn't have to be very big to work for 1/2" ply. also, a thick solid wood lipping all the way around might work, with biscuits (or nails) and glue.

phillip

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Take a squirt bottle and wet the inside (concave ) side, Wet some large towels and lay them flat on your garage (carport) floor and lay them with the concave side down and leave them for a day or two. If they cup the other way, redo with less moisture. The squirt bottle by itself will probably get them flat enough for you to get the size pieces you need. It kinda depends on how bad they are bowed. If its not exterior glue, don't use the wet towels.
IMHO its worth a try:lol:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestion, "GO". It's worth a try. I've got 3 sheets of ply that I hate to throw out.
Thanks again,
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS