bocote pocketwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
My latest pocketwatch. I have to put the post for the chain. This is the first bocote I have used and really like the grain. Any comments appreciated. BTW does bocote darken much with age??

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Gary,
I am not familiar with the wood, but I do recognize a nice piece of work. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
:eek:ccasion1
Donn

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I have had bocote for quite some time and I haven't noticed any darkening. It just doesn't have very far to go anyway. BTW: Nice Watch!

gsdoby

New User
Gary
pocket watch procedure
Thanks for asking This is a quick description

1. get piece of stock 1" x 3" x 3"(Roughly)
2. Drill 1 3/8" hole for watch insert and to use to attach to chuck. I use a forstener bit. depth just enough to secure in chuck
3. Attach to chuck
4. round off blank and turn a tenon for reverse chucking.
5. Reverse blank and turn the face of the watch. use scraper to deepen hole to accept the watch insert and remove center mark left by forstener bit.
6. Apply finish to front as desired
7. Reverse the blank and use hole to secure to chuck.
8. Turn off other tenon. and turn the back as desired. It is recommended to have the back recessed slightly for ease in drilling hole for watch stem.
9. Apply finish to back as desired
10. Drill hole in top of blank to attach stem used to attach chain to watch.

Contact me with any questions. I am attaching a link with pictures. The person uses double face tape instead of a chuck but it should help. Hope this helps

http://www.hoistman.com/HoistMan/WatchTurn.html

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Another beautiful pocket watch. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Thanks for sharing how you did it too. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS