Best resaw blade ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am looking to buy a good resaw blade for my Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw.
I am hoping to be able to "peel" very thin slices off 16/4 and larger stock

I have heard both the Wood Slicer sold by Highland and the Laguna Resaw King are quality blades - but which one is better.

The Wood Slicer cost about $37 vs the Resaw King at about $150 however the cost per cut probably is close to the same

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
$37 vs $150…. cut per cut is close…. seems like a no brainer

Sorry I meant to type cost per cut. The Resaw King cost about 4x but since it is carbide it last about 4x. Add in the time to change blades to the equation and the Resaw King would win - but which one gives the best cut ??

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the Resaw King on my Laguna LT18 in the 1" size. But for a 14" machine I would opt for the WoodSlicer from Highland Hardware. I have read good reviews in several magazine articles about resawing wood.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Google "Woodslicer" and see if you can get them direct from Spectrum Supply. (I think that's the correct name for the OEM.) Ittura design also sells this blade, if memory serves me correct. (Lennox Kerfmaster)

Last edited:

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have a 17" Grizzly bandsaw (G0513X2). I originally had a 1/2" Wood Slicer and it was great. I could easily take off very thin veneers when resawing. Setup was very easy. I eventually replaced it with a 3/4" Resaw King thinking it would be an upgrade. It wasn't an upgrade at all as the performance is much worse. It is possible that the Grizzly just can't tension the blade adequately as I have heard good things about this blade from Scott Smith, but his bandsaw is a different animal. Lots of time dialing it in, and it is still worse than the Wood Slicer was. I still have the resaw king and it is mostly ok, but I will be ordering a wood slicer to replace it in the near future. I believe the WoodSlicer has a thinner kerf and it seems to perform better at lower tensions.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I don't know anything about differences in the cut quality between the two blades but if it were me, I would probably go with the Wood Slicer so I could have 2-3 spares on hand in case something happened to the one I was using (broken/bent tooth, breaks entirely, etc.). Also, with multiple blades on hand, I could change the blade out if I needed one to be primo sharp for a particular cut. Just my .02

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Have the Woodslicer on mine Phil.....best blade I;ve put on it.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I've got the 1/2" Wood Slicer on my Rikon 10-325. You're welcome to come by and try it out to see if it satisfies you! I'm very happy with it, but also I must say I haven't done a lot of resawing with it. Some, but not a lot.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Just checked Spectrum's web site, and a "sample pack" for my 14" delta with riser block is a little under $60. That works out to about $15 a blade. Sample pack includes 1/2", 5/8" (two thicknesses,) and 3/4", all 3/4 TPI.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I can't comment on the Resaw King because I haven't used one.
I have the 10-325 and have used the Woodslicer, and the Iturra version. Both are good resaw blades, but dull quickly.

For $37 I get bi-metal blades from a local N.C. small company, woodcraftbands.com (not associated with Woodcraft)
Bi-metal blades last very much longer and, in my experience resaw just as good as the Woodslicer.
woodcraftbands also has a Woodslicer equivalent for less than $20. (last time I ordered one. haven't used them since going to b-metal)
Also, the bi-metal bands sharpen easily with a Dremel and a diamond stone.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 10-325 and have used the Woodslicer, and the Iturra version. Both are good resaw blades, but dull quickly.

For $37 I get bi-metal blades from a local N.C. small company, woodcraftbands.com (not associated with Woodcraft)
Bi-metal blades last very much longer and, in my experience resaw just as good as the Woodslicer.
woodcraftbands also has a Woodslicer equivalent for less than $20. (last time I ordered one. haven't used them since going to b-metal)
Thank you for posting that Ken - I was trying to think of that, and couldn't eek it out of my "steel trap!"

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

I will second Ken's comments.

Before I ponied up for a (discounted) Resaw King, I used to run Lennox bimetal bands on my Hitachi bandsaw. I could take a slice off 11" red oak that was so thin you could see light through the pores of the grain.

I have never used a Woodslicer. I opted for the bimetal bands hearing that the Woodslicers were relatively short-lived (compared to bimetal).

-Mark

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I buy band saw blades of all types from Precision Saw Works in Polkton, NC. Google it. Great folks to do business with and pricing is very good also. They also sharpen all types of circular blades, can replace carbide teeth, etc. They use Lennox material.

:wsmile:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Another vote for wood slicer. Great opportunity to justify a trip to Atlanta to Highland Hardware, the most amazing woodworking store I have ever visited.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bruce, There is no comparison between the two blades you asked about. The Laguna is so out of the woodslicer's league it's not funny. Laguna was and is the best blade I've used on my bandsaws. I just bought a bowlturners blade from Highland and it's unusable. Blade has more kinks and a crooked weld. Last one I bought from them was fine although they don't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS