Bench Update #3- It's done! many pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
In my previous update I had completed most of the structure. All that remained were a few details and finishing.

One detail I didn't show was how I attached the cross-grain aprons to the bench. Since they are cross grain you can't use glue without the danger of seasonal movement causing problems. Lon Schleining in his FWW bench article (which along with Monty's outstanding version superbly documented here, was my inspiration for this bench) and the instructions that came with my Lee Valley vise used a method similar to attaching breadboard ends with a tenon on the end of bench top and a mortise on the back of the apron. They recommended attaching the apron with machine bolts in counterbores and barrel nuts buried in the table. Then they plugged the bolt head holes. I had two problems with that- appearance and the inability to tighten the bolts and snug up the apron at a later date. My solution was to bury barrel nuts in the apron, use 1/4-20 all-thread rod in a 3/8" hole (to allow movement), and pull it all tight with a nut and washer in a pocket in the underside of the table. It worked great!:

No visible hole plugs covering bolt heads:

IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg

A view under the table. The hole on the left is for the barrel nut. A nut and washer is installed on the all thread rod in the pocket at right. I drilled three close holes and chiseled away the remaining wood to make the pockets. If I had a small ratcheting box wrench I could have made the pockets smaller. I can easily pull the aprons very tight this way:

IMG_2952.jpg
IMG_2952.jpg

I am using 3/4" round Lee Valley Bench Dogs and Pups. When I laid out the locations for my dog holes I was very careful to avoid the locations of vise hardware and bench structure. I made a drill guide on my drill press and used it to keep the drill perpendicular while drilling holes in the top of the table and the aprons with an electric hand drill. I drilled the holes in the vise jaws on the drill press. Once I had one row completed I was able to use my Gramercy holdfasts to help clamp the guide:

IMG_29101.jpg
IMG_29101.jpg

IMG_29171.jpg
IMG_29171.jpg

IMG_29201.jpg

IMG_29201.jpg

The bench was finished with a 60/40 mix of mineral spirits and marine varnish. I will probably knock down the gloss of the top with steel wool or a Scotchbrite pad, then give it a few coats of wax. The bench is at its lowest height (30") here:

IMG_2931.jpg
IMG_2931.jpg

And its highest (43") here:

IMG_2934.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg

The quick release front vise (r.) and sliding tail vise (l.). I used my lathe to turn the vise handles out of scrap maple. The end knobs came from the local Michaels craft store.

IMG_2943.jpg
IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg
IMG_2954.jpg

The adjustable legs are a variation of those I designed for my assembly table. I added a small pedal to release the ratchet pawls when I lower the table. The bench is heavy, but changing height is not too bad. It is something that I won't be doing often once I find a comfortable working height, but if I need it, I have that capability.

IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg
IMG_2956.jpg

The finishing touch is a label Rob Lee of Lee Valley sent me, along with some cork vise facing. I put the lablel on the chain cover I made for my custom Lee Valley/Veritas Twin Screw Vise installation. Thanks Rob!

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

Monty

New User
Monty
Amazing! Once again you have demonstrated the ability to take it to the next level. I'm still marveling over the adjustable height feature, but I like that wide twin screw vise and huge work surface even more. Looks like you could land an airplane on that thing! Your design will be an inspiration to many for years to come.

The best part about having a workbench is... using it! Once you break it in, you'll wonder how you ever got any work done without it.

mbolt512

New User
mbolt
Awesome bench. Almost to nice to work on it. :wink_smil I hope you don't mind if I try to build a copy of it someday. My shop is in great need of a good bench and I haven't seen anything that compares to your's. Great job!

bwat

New User
Bill
Outstanding work, as usual! :icon_thum Looks like an article for a future WW mag here????

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Alan

I expected the bench to be great..... but this is beyond that. Beautifully thought out and executed. When I get back to NC, I've got to come over and take a ride.:gar-Bi
Ernie

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for sharing, that is quite the bench!

The breadboard end solution is one I put in my mental file for future use. Quite clever and aesthetically pleasing.

If I missed it, I apologize, but.... what inspired you to put the twin screw vise on the end as opposed to the edge of the bench?

Jim

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Amazing! Once again you have demonstrated the ability to take it to the next level. I'm still marveling over the adjustable height feature, but I like that wide twin screw vise and huge work surface even more. Looks like you could land an airplane on that thing! Your design will be an inspiration to many for years to come.

The best part about having a workbench is... using it! Once you break it in, you'll wonder how you ever got any work done without it.

Thanks that means allot! As my revised post states, Lon Schleining and YOU and your bench were my inspirations for this bench.

Very nice Alan! When's the pub date?

Thanks guys!

Joe, I just got done proofing the galley drafts of my adjustable height assembly table and torsion box articles. The magazine is doing the final tweaks and proofing now. They will be in the Dec/Jan Issue (#145) of AWW so should be headed to the printers in a few weeks and in the mail/stores around 1 Nov.

Outstanding work, as usual! :icon_thum Looks like an article for a future WW mag here????

Probably not- the legs are covered in a forthcoming article and the bench has been done. But, if some mag wants me to write and document making another bench . . .

VERY nice! Did you buff the finish? It is very glossy looking!

Just heavily thinned varnish. I plan to dull it down some.

Thanks for sharing, that is quite the bench!

The breadboard end solution is one I put in my mental file for future use. Quite clever and aesthetically pleasing.

If I missed it, I apologize, but.... what inspired you to put the twin screw vise on the end as opposed to the edge of the bench?

Jim

Seemed the place for it- most installations I have seen including my inspirations put it there, plus with such a wide spacing for the lead screws, it might be hard to avoid some of the trestle base structure. As it was, I had to drill two clearance holes in one of the cross pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS