Bench Clamp Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
OK, I have a Rockler Gift Card that has been idling since LAST Christmas. :tinysmile_cry_t: I want to use it before this Christmas comes.

I need to get a bench clamp for my workbench and I have been considering one of two.

The first one is their 9" Heavy Duty Quick Release Front Vise (Picture is hyperlinked)

Then there is the 7" Quick Release Workbench Vise (Picture is hyperlinked)

I will have bench dog holes in my bench, so it will be useful for clamping on the benchtop. On the 9" one, with a 1" block, I could drill holes for bench dogs.

I just need to add some clamping ability to my bench. Maybe I could have avoided the 'Chisel Bit' if I had clamped that piece. :eusa_thin

Any thoughts or insight will be appreciated!

BTW, does it look like Rockler has jacked the prices up for the holiday? :wmad:

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
from those 2, I'd go with the bigger 9" version b/c 1) it's bigger which means more support for clamping longer boards; 2) I prefer the wooden jaw vs. the metal. a nice softwood like pine is not going to damage your precious work if you (or your children) overtighten it vs. a hard piece of steel which is likely to crush it like a garbage compactor! and 3) the reviews for long term use ain't so hot on the steel version. others can chime in on the need for a quick release and how well these hold up over time.

Sam

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I agree w/ Sam on the 9", and not just because it cost less. As long as the underside of your bench is flat, it will be easier to install. Plus the wood jaw will be much better than the metal jaw. I have one of the metal jaw vises on my bench and I installed it behind the skirt of my bench, then added a wooden jaw to the outside jaw. That way I don't have metal crushing my work piece. But that was a lot of extra effort I wouldn't want to repeat. It also ate up some of my opening capacity.

View image in gallery

BCS032.JPG

View image in gallery
As for the "quick action" mechanism, I would definitely recommend it. If you use your vise a lot, it gets very tiresome screwing it in and out. Also, you can hold your work piece w/ two hands and lean against the vise to close it. Then tighten it down. I've got a couple of old vises that are probably 30-50 years old, and the mechanism still works like new.

Bill

CatButler

New User
Bryan
+1 on what's been said about the 9". I had one like the 7" when I was starting out and was never able to get it flush on my bench properly. I eventually just took it off.

You are correct about "Chisel Bite". Every time I have seriously stabbed myself with a chisel, it as been because I was holding the piece instead of a clamp. I good set of hold fasts help as well as the bench clamp set up you are talking about. The next improvement I make to my bench will be to add something like that.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Thanks for the inputs. I was leaning toward the 9" just for the extra clamping area.

I don't think either of them come with a wood 'pad', but both can take one. The reason I was considering the metal one was because it looked like it would support the wood pad more completely.

Sounds like the general consensus is to use a softwood, like pine, for the wood 'pad'. I think I have just the piece for that in my attic.

Now I just need to consider whether I want to wait until after Christmas and/or New Year for Rockler's prices to come back down to earth. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Marvin.

A couple of years back Peachtree was running a sale on their 10" quick release vise and added one to my bench. With the wider vise I was allowed to make jaws 6" x 16" long. Made them from red oak and haven't had any marring issues with the harder wood. Here are a couple of pictures of the front and rear jaws. ...

100_2627.jpg

100_2618.jpg

I have found that the larger jaws really help in securing longer pieces of work.

Rockler is offering free shipping these days. Not sure if it is runnning after Xmas.:wsmile:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors