BBQ, model ships and the History of NCWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
With all the talk about what NCWW was, is, and will be, I thought this might be a good time to piece together the 'official' history of NCWW. I've heard the stories a few times, but with every telling new details crop up. In part that's because good stories get better due to embellishments, but it's also because the eh....what's that thing that helps you remember stuff...not those tablets...oh yeah, MEMORY of certain individuals has started to erode from sniffing too much CA glue. Another reason not to take up turning! But I digress.

After spending a few hours in the archive (no dust collection there!), I think I can sum up how we all ended up here: Model ships.

Yes, that's right. Model ships. Those funny little boats in bottles that once contained liquor.

As the legend goes, Steve wanted to build a workbench in his garage after moving here from California, so he could build model ships. (BTW, sometimes I wonder if people take up model ship building just so they have an excuse to have lots of liquor bottles lying around without people asking questions. But I digress again...). As we all know, every project requires a new tool, and shop projects require two new tools! So before too long Steve succumbed to an early strain of WGD (this was before it was officially named!) and started bugging the folks on woodnet.net on how to do stuff.

One of the frustrating things about the Internet is finding stuff locally. It's great that Denise Hoyt sells orthopedic shoes in Boston, but that doesn't mean squat if you live in Raleigh. So Steve floated the idea on Woodnet on starting a forum focused on woodworking in North Carolina, mainly to locate supplies. The original link is dead, and I haven't been able to find it in any of the archives. Here is a summary from DaveO:
Steve inquired about any interest in the starting of a site for NC woodworkers, there was a few serious reply made but the the topic got hijacked and turned into a very long conversation about the different types of BBQ in NC. Many people have posted questions on that site that never get answered because they may have misspelled a word, or phrased their question in a way that some found to be stupid, or just generally asked a simple question and were met with ridicule and insults.

In addition to Steve's interest in this site being a place to local information on where to obtain woodworking supplies, I think he also meant it to be a place that was always friendly, and willing to offer assistance to any member regardless of how simple their question is or poor their spelling or wording is.
I'm not sure what the original "go live" date was, it appears to have been sometime in July of 2005. The oldest post I can find (#2) was an ad for a bandsaw Monty was selling.

Nobody was really able to predict where NCWW would go. Steve wrote in August of 2007:
I definitely did not think of this site as primarily a discussion forum. It was meant to be a place for NC woodworkers to both find out about local services and a place for members to announce things.

[snip]

Just notice that there are no woodworking help forums or topics. This was purposeful. There are other sites that will get you more and faster results, Woodnet, SawMillCreek, etc. That doesn't mean, you can't ask, just that I am not dedicating a forum to it. For me, if I had a question and didn't need it fast, I would PM someone with the question.
As much as I appreciate the classifieds and local supplier info, the woodworking discussions are the bulk of NCWW activity today.

Many of the original nay-sayers are still around. A few of them seem to still post here now and then too!

First 5 users (that still are registered on the site):

1. SteveColes (surprise!)
  2. Gator
  3. Monty
  4. DaveO
  5. Toolferone

First 3 people to reach 1000 postS:

1. DaveO (surprise!)
  2. D L Ames
  3. Insomniac

This used to be a big deal, you'd get a custom picture if you achieved that milestone. Now there are plenty of weird yahoos that have over 1,000 posts...

I would appreciate it if you 'old-timers' (in NCWW membership years that is!) could reply with interesting facts and juicy details. For example, I haven't been able to find DaveO's post about the first picnic, but maybe because those threads were cleaned up. I'm also curious on when the first lumber run was held. and when the discount program was started, and what inspired Roger (sapwood) to make his tin foil hat....

So get crackin' y'all! :XXcompute

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Bas,
You have been busy. I like the facts that you resurrected from the archives.:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Great work, that is very good facts, about our site:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

But you have way too much time on your hands, you better be getting a lathe :gar-La;

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Since you are going to the trouble, just wanted to make a correction to your info:

First active members still active are:

Steve Coles 7-10
Monty 7-11
Gator 7-11
Toolferone 7-12
mshel 7-12

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
One of our first "gatherings" - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f23/extravaganza-265/
and the subsequent Photo Gallery - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=147

Aftermath from the first picnic -
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f22/spring-picinic-thank-you-3114/

My first thread...and for some reason no matter where I am folks want to call me Dan :eusa_doh::icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra -
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f15/ok-ill-spill-beans-65/

There is so much more that I am having problems finding. Penguin flingin' , MDF gravy recipes, peach paint humiliations, pure unrequested caring and assistance, and general mayhem and fun.
It really is a shame that much of this history has been lost due to software upgrades, but the site is better for it. And no one can post what I said in the original WoodNet thread about starting this site :eusa_doh::eusa_naug

We've come a long way Baby :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Since you are going to the trouble, just wanted to make a correction to your info:

First active members still active are:

Steve Coles 7-10
Monty 7-11
Gator 7-11
Toolferone 7-12
mshel 7-12

Mike

Mike - thanks. I actually made a typo, #4 was not DaveO but DaveD. I really shouldn't sand and post on the same evening....

The extended, hopefully correct list is

Steve Coles 7-10
Gator 7-11
Monty 7-11
DaveD - 7-12
Toolferone 7-12
Sapwood 7-12
mshel 7-12

I used a fairly crude way to discover this, via
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=1
(u=1 is Steve, then just keep incrementing that number until you find a valid user :)). Of course, no guarantee this is actually correct....

So yeah, a bunch of familiar faces all around 7-12!

M

McRabbet

A few additions to the fun -- Mike Shelley (mshel) was the late 2005 perpetrator of this classic thread Check this out for a Hoot, or even funnier, this Funny but not PETA friendly thread started by Steve DeWeese (SteveD) in early 2006. Sadly, a few graphics are lost, but not the best ones!

Then we had a real classic, started in November 2005 by our resident "Redcoat" David Fenton (DavidF) and is entitled Turkey to harassing the British. If you should get a dreaded Red X in Chris Hoffman's (Chris99z71) post #15, click this Link to see what's really there!

Enjoy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Monty

New User
Monty
First 3 people to reach 1000 postS:

1. DaveO (surprise!)
  2. D L Ames
  3. Insomniac

For the record... Insomniac = Monty. My sleep habits are a lot better now! ;)

That was a great read - thanks for putting it together. A little nostalgia is always fun.

I didn't know that about the model ships - it's funny what gets us sucked into this hobby. For me it was a picture frame. I dropped a framed picture I was trying to hang (clumsy) and broke the frame. I looked at it and figured "I could easily make one of these - I've always wanted to learn about woodworking anyway. Now let's see... what kind of tool will I need to make this?" Of course that was just the beginning. The funny thing is, I still have yet to make that picture frame! :eusa_doh::mrgreen:

cskipper

Cathy
One of our first "gatherings" - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f23/extravaganza-265/
and the subsequent Photo Gallery - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=147

Aftermath from the first picnic -
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f22/spring-picinic-thank-you-3114/

My first thread...and for some reason no matter where I am folks want to call me Dan :eusa_doh::icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra -
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f15/ok-ill-spill-beans-65/

There is so much more that I am having problems finding. Penguin flingin' , MDF gravy recipes, peach paint humiliations, pure unrequested caring and assistance, and general mayhem and fun.

Never one to let the famous peach paint incident be forgotten, follow this link:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f11/lesson-learned-4289/?highlight=Peach:+peach
Dave - the best I can figure is that you attached photos instead of putting them in your gallery - clever.

Two of the MDF biscuits threads (started by this picture):
IMG_0828.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f11/mmm-biscuits-600/?highlight=MDF+gravy

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f11/split-mmm-mdf-southern-goodness-kitchen-545/?highlight=MDF+gravy

Thanks for the reminders and the laughts. Mshel - I always thought Monty (formerly Insomniac) started the penguin "message" thread - sorry for not giving credit to the correct person for all those hours of laughts.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for the great links and feedback! I'll see if I can compile a "Best Of NCWoodworker" list somewhere, some things you can read over and over again.

I'll also see if I can start putting together a list of milestones of what happened when. If only to keep the future picnic stories more believable ("When we first started the site, we didn't have forums! We had to tap out the information in morse code to Steve, who recorded them and delivered them by horse and carriage on 8-track tape once a week. We'd listen to the beeps in the workshop while hand planing boards!")

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
A few additions to the fun -- Mike Shelley (mshel) was the late 2005 perpetrator of this classic thread Check this out for a Hoot, or even funnier, this Funny but not PETA friendly thread started by Steve DeWeese (SteveD) in early 2006. Sadly, a few graphics are lost, but not the best ones!

Then we had a real classic, started in November 2005 by our resident "Redcoat" David Fenton (DavidF) and is entitled Turkey to harassing the British. If you should get a dreaded Red X in Chris Hoffman's (Chris99z71) post #15, click this Link to see what's really there!

Enjoy...

Brilliant, I remember it well!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
"We'd listen to the beeps in the workshop while hand planing boards!":

You had a "workshop?!" We used to work in a brown paper bag in the middle of the road! And "boards?" We used to glue acorns together as we could afford fancy boards.

But try to tell that to the kids nowadays, do they listen...Noooo. :rotflm:

Doug

DavidF

New User
David
"We'd listen to the beeps in the workshop while hand planing boards!":

You had a "workshop?!" We used to work in a brown paper bag in the middle of the road! And "boards?" We used to glue acorns together as we could afford fancy boards.

But try to tell that to the kids nowadays, do they listen...Noooo. :rotflm:

Doug

You mean " We use t' work in middl a' road" said in Northern English accent! And what's more, we use t' walk 3 mile, up hill both ways. But try to tell that to the kids nowadays, do they listen...Noooo. :rotflm:

Steve W

New User
Steve
You mean " We use t' work in middl a' road" said in Northern English accent! And what's more, we use t' walk 3 mile, up hill both ways. But try to tell that to the kids nowadays, do they listen...Noooo. :rotflm:
"We'd get up a' nine o'clock, half an hour before going to bed. Eat a lump o' dried poison and our da' would kill us and dance on our graves..."

I shoulda known you'd be a Python fan, David! Doug, there haven't been too many others in my travels that knew the Four Yorkshiremen sketch :gar-La;

What a great thread -- thanks, Bas, for getting this started! Now I know the peach paint story, among other things!

Well, back to my search for a shrubbery...

:kermit: Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS