Bathroom Vanity WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks,

Been silent for awhile here but doesn't mean I haven't been woodworking. This is 1 of the many projects currently in progress and I'm getting close to finishing the build of it. What this is, is a custom (3) cabinet vanity that will house 2 sinks in the left and right cabinets with a drawer cabinet in the middle. It's my own design and what is unique about this is that it has 2 different levels (heights) and 2 different depths. As you'll see the center cabinet is both taller and deeper than the other 2. Once I get this installed (another post later) I'll have granite fabricated for the tops. This post just show the initial construction, and I must say, I am NOT a cabinet guy.

1st was a bunch of mortise and tenons:
vanity_and_beach_003_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery
vanity_and_beach_005_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

Then I rough fit the cabinets together for the dimensions of the drawers and doors:

Then I made the drawers and doors (all frame and panel)

Then installed the hardware before getting ready to stain:

That's all for right now. I've got them completely stained and put together right now and I am doing bathroom demo next week to get the spot ready for them. Got to move some pipes, replace a section of floor, patch some drywall and then install the cabinets, should be fun. Pics to follow.

Oh and if you were wondering. The cabinets frames and doors and drawers are made of quartersawn red oak (with curly qtrsawn red oak for the panels). The sides are 1/2" red oak ply. The wood I got from Rick at the Woodworking source and man is it some nice stuff.!

Thanks for looking

Mike

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Michael!
Looks like you haven't had TIME to be on for a while...
Nice looking project. Can't wait to see the finished result.
What finish are you going to use?

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Andrew,

the finished I used was Minwax English Chestnut. The problem was alot of color variation in the different red oaks I used so I had to use shellac as some primer coats on certain sections to get the color consistent over the whole piece. The color turned out really nice, but that's for another post! Oh, after the stain I have three coats of poly (not that I like poly-I just has some leftover to use up) and after this cab I may never use oil based poly again-might as well just use lacquer.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Not a cabinet guy? Man, you fooled me! :eek: Excellent work! Can't wait to see it in place! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Mike!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Anxious to see the finish applied. Raised panel drawer fronts sure look spiffy.

Wayne

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
What Trent said!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Very classy design and super execution, especially the precise reveals around the panels!! Well done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS