Bandsaw Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR Willie

New User
Willie
First off, I am a newbie. So if I mess up, somebody hollar at me. If you ever heard the saying about being careful what you ask for, well I thought I'd look for woodworking tools and found some.
Two Dewalt Radial Arm Saws
Walker Turner Bandsaw and Drill Press
HB Smith Jointer
Powermatic Planer
Two Table Saws 110 volt and 220 volt

Best I can figure, most of these showed up when I did, in the 50's, with the exception of the Jointer, I believe its got about 50 years on me.

As you can see I sorta proud of my new stuff. I've replaced the wiring on most, and got them all running. I have a question about how to replace the rubber on the upper wheel on the Bandsaw. I sure am glad I found yal, while I was looking around for Tools.

TR

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Willie, I am glad that you found us. I am not really sure where this thread belongs. Either in the Who We Are forum because it's your first post and kinda an introduction. Or in the Power Tools forums because of your inquiry about the BS tires. Or in Gloat-land because you scored all that nice old arn.
Obviously some picture would help both with advice on replacing the BS tires and believing that you gloat is not just made up :gar-La;:gar-La; Around here, no pictures..it didn't happen, but seeing as you're new will let that slide a bit.
I know about replacing the tires on a modern BS, but I have no clue on how yours are mounted or what size you might need.

Dave:)

JohnW

New User
John
First off TR....Welcome to NCWW.
Second...post so pics of that old arn. We'd love to look at old tools.

Third...I refurbished a 1953 WT bandsaw about 4 years ago. It was a 14" model. Not sure what size wheel you have..and that makes a difference, but WT didn't make too many LARGE saws so I'll assume yours is "about" 14".

If your tires are original, they are probably rubber. Just pull/scrape them off. Might have to use some solvent to get them clean but they typically are not too hard to remove. Many old rubber tires were installed using adhesive, and you can still find replacement rubber tires...But I recommend buying poly tires. They are easy to install. Just soak them in hot water for a few min and they willl streatch enough to get on. It helps to have a third hand and maybe a large screwdriver to help shimmy them on...but not necessary.

If you saw is BIG..like over 24" dia wheels...you MAY have a steeper crown which might require a different tire...but chances of this are slim.

Again, welcome to the site and ..POST PICTURES.

John W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS