Bandsaw tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
I've had a 20" Delta bandsaw for a lot of years. The (original) tire on the lower wheel just 'blew up' this afternoon. Half of the tire ended up in the top half of the saw, dragged there by the blade. Chunks of rubber and lots of ground up rubber dust were everywhere. The blade, by the way, is a total loss. Not a pretty sight. I'm sure glad I didn't have my carbide blade on at the time! This will really wake you up when it happens! It's similar to the reaction you get when the blade breaks.

My question is whether anyone has any experience with the new urethane tires that are supposed to go on easier and last longer than the hard rubber ones originally supplied with the saw. Do they work as well? Is the blade tracking affected? I'd appreciate any inputs.

Thanks,

Dave

T

toolferone

Dave, I have been selling the urathane tires for 6 years now and have heard nothing but good about them. First all you do is boil them for a little while. after cleaning off all the old tire and any glue they used. The new tire is placed on and shrinks as it cools to lock it on tight. The only negative is that they are not cheap and you should replace both at the same time.

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
Tom/Roy,

Good inputs. Thanks. The old rubber tire had an inside protrusion that mated with the groove in the wheel. I assume it was for alignment purposes. Do the urethane tires also have them or don't they matter?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Dave

T

toolferone

dave_the_woodworker said:
The old rubber tire had an inside protrusion that mated with the groove in the wheel. I assume it was for alignment purposes. Do the urethane tires also have them or don't they matter?

The new tires won't have the groove, but it should not be a problem as these will be very tight when they dry out. Measure the width of the old tire and teh wheel and make sure the new tire is the same. If the new tire is wider it can be trimmed to the correct width.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Mike Davis said:
I put a set on mine and improved it 1000%. They work great.

Mike, what exactly was the improvement? I have been thinking about replacing my original tires (when I get the $$). After I replace the Timberwolf blade I broke today.:BangHead:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
toolferone said:
Dave, I have been selling the urathane tires for 6 years now .

Do you stock those tires to fit the older sears BS? Mine have just recently gotten to where the won't stay on.

Jerry

T

toolferone

walnutjerry said:
Do you stock those tires to fit the older sears bandsaw? Mine have just recently gotten to where the won't stay on.
Jerry

We have:
12" x 7/8"w
14" x 7/8"w
16" x 1 1/2"w
18" x 1 1/2"w

I only stock the 14" here in the store, but can have the others in about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS