Bandsaw or planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxman

New User
Matt
For those of you who have both bandsaw and planer - if you were forced to choose between the two, which one would you give up?

I only have the resources to purchase one or the other. I was originally leaning toward the purchase of a planer, and planing precut stock down to the desired thickness. However, I've borrowed a neighbors bandsaw recently and I really like its versatility. I made a resaw fence out of MDF for it and have been resawing stock to the desired thickness, which seems to make more sense. That is, if I have a 3/4" board on-hand, and need a 1/4" board, I'd rather resaw it, than run it through a planer a dozen times.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin Hmmm.. that's a very good question. I couldn't do very good re-saw work without the planer to send the stock through to clean up the saw marks. I guess I could do that with a hand plane. You can use a planer as a jointer by making a simple sled. A jigsaw can make many of the cuts a bandsaw can do, but generally not as precise. Without a good working knowledge of handtools, it is difficult to dimension rough stock without a planer.

A lot depends on what you are planning to make. Curved work really requires a bandsaw.

I would have to say a planer, if I had to chose one for myself, that is what I got first. But I don't do too many projects that don't also include my bandsaw.

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
tough question! band saw first. you can always smooth the stock with a hand plane and sander. realy need both though. maybe you could sell a kid?:rolf: just kidding.:eusa_whis

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Matt, welcome to the site. You jumped right in with such a compelling question, I didn't even realize it was your first post. We're glad you could join us. Please drop by the "Who We Are" forum and offer us all a brief intro to yourself when you get the chance.
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I would definitely go with the planer first. If that is a really good neighbor, maybe you can continue using his band saw until you are able to get your own. Maybe trade some planer time for bandsaw time?:eusa_thin

Jerry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm voting the planer. It saves the most labor-intensive work (no hand planing for weeks ... just rip on the motor and make chips fly!). Plus a planer is really loud ... just what a guy likes ... loud tools!

And you can always get by with a jigsaw until you can get a bandsaw.

woodguy1975

New User
John
As much as I love my bandsaws I have to say a planer comes first in my book.
Good Luck and welcome to the board. BTW, I did see a northstate bandsaw on CLT craigslist for $150. Geez I spent more than that on stainless bolts for my Moak. LOL!!!!

John

dtomasch

New User
David
yeah, planer all the way. The money spent up front will pay for itself in sweat on the first board:lol: Band saw is great and usefull in many ways, but as far as making work easier, it's the planer. And watch out for woodguy, he'll talk you into 4 bandsaws before you know it! Hey, welcome to the dust bin! This is a great place that is full of information on everything wood, and then some. Have fun and post pictures...we like them.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Go with the planer unless you want to flatten by hand. Used lunchbox planers come up all the time for a decent price.

Always be nice to the neighbor with a bandsaw who lets you steal some time on it. :lol: :lol:

And, welcome to the forum. :)

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Go for a good quality "lunchbox" planer first. I've got a DeWalt DW733 and just changed the blades after several thousand lineal feet of passes through it -- Someone on the forum just posted a DW735 on a stand for sale -- great deal for a good unit. I've also got 14" (floor) and 10" (bench) bandsaws and use them frequently, but the planer is essential for dimensioning stock that would just take too long by hand (BTDT).

Rob

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I think you need to buy a bandsaw first....and I just happen to have one for sale.:lol: See post under Buy and Sale Tools. But really it depends on what you want to do. Both are great to have. Oh, and did I tell you I have a bandsaw for sale. :eusa_danc

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I'll add to the planer first votes... My first was a Delta 12' lunchbox which I used to make the cutting boards I did for Christmas presents this last year. Then a compelling deal came up on a 20" Yorkcraft planer. That Delta is now in Bryan S.'s shop.

Careful trading and buying can get you both tools for what you may have budgeted now... How much are you planning to spend?

Nativespec

New User
David
Buy both. Look on Craigs List-there are bandsaws there all the time and you might come accross a planer. Use the entry level tools until you outgrow them and decide which model to move up to.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I'd also vote for a planer. Start w/one of the less expensive versions (Ridgid, Griz etc) and then trade up. The same w/the band saw.

Good luck and good hunting.

Dan C.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I'm going to go agin the grain here and pick the bandsaw first. Yes, the planer saves a lot of labor and I wouldn't part with mine except for a new one. The bandsaw is capable of doing so many things. Some that can't be done very easily with anything else. I can and have on occasion used hand planes to dress lumber. Yes it can be hard work but can be done. also, you can buy dressed and reasonably flat stock. Actually, I would go for a jointer before a planer because planning stock that hasn't been jointed is no good. My bandsaw would be the last power tool to leave my shop. Just my humble opinion.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I say bandsaw simply because the place I buy my lumber will run it through their monster planer for me.

BTW, welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Bandsaw or planer?-Found one

On the comment of buying a jointer before a planer, I totally agree. That is how I started out after getting a tablesaw. Flattening and straightening edges for glue ups and so forth.

A good bandsaw is a sweet tool for resawing curve cuts, etc. To me though, it depends on what you are going to do. You can get by on curve cuts with a good jig saw, and you can buy your wood pre-dimensioned. I wouldn't want to give up either now that I have them, but I can see swaying either way dependant upon where and what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS