Bandsaw goes click-click, click-click --- and dies

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi all,
I have a Rikon 10-345 bandsaw that I bought second had some time ago. I tried (miserable failure) to resaw some maple over Christmas. The board was about 6" -- which I didn't think would be a problem for an 18" bandsaw. So... I watched a few YouTube videos and replaced the tires, the blade, and the fence. Now that the refurbishment was done, I was aligning the fence to compensate for any blade drift (there was hardly any). While testing the drift however, the motor made repetitive click-click sounds and, after a half a dozen or so, simply stopped. While the saw is older, I didn't think it had that much milage on it.
I've read where the problem is likely either the start-up capacitor or the centrifugal switch. I didn't think the capacitor would come into play once the motor started... but am not sure if I have a good grasp of start up capacitors. I'd like to ask you input before I start digging into the motor. Thoughts on how best to proceed?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Does the motor make a humming noise when you turn the switch to " on"? Or any other noises?

Do you have a magnetic starter switch or does the motor have a simple toggle switch?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mark, When you turn the power on, does the motor just hum or does it try to rotate? The centrifugal switch function is to put the starting capacitor in the circuit when the motor is stopped and after the motor starts spinning it centrifugally opens to disconnect the capacitor. So if you're hearing a click, click, click...I don't think it would be the starting cap. I see you're in Cary. I'm in Chapel Hill and I also happen to be an Electrical Engineer. I could take a ride over and see what I can figure out. However, I've got company this Saturday (I don't yet know how long) and also Sunday. I work weekdays.

papermakerbarnes

New User
Rusty
check your capacitor by looking at the bottom of the capacitor
If it looks like a frozen drink can that has expanded (bowed out) usually means the capacitor is blown
capacitors are cheaper than most anything in your shop Look on the capacitor label to buy the replacement at Amazon or a local air conditioner supply house

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Mechanical ticking could be the centrifugal switch loosening and flopping around. Remove the motor's back cover and fan to check this out. When a capacitor goes, there's often the all too familiar burned insulation smell.

1       tpos - 1.jpg

Centrifugal switch on a low budget Asian-made motor.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
UPDATE.... Mark brought his motor to my shop in Chapel Hill yesterday (Sunday). We tore it down and found the contact for the centrifugal switch was badly corroded. I used some 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper folded in half then pinched the contacts together to sand both halves. After quite a bit of sanding we could see the contacts were again nice and shiny. We reassembled and wired a cord up to the motor. Upon plugging it in it quickly spun up to speed. We unplugged and plugged it in several time each time hearing the switch click back closed once it slowed down enough. Overall it didn't take too long and we ended up saving Mark from buying a new motor and from having to buy a new centrifugal switch.

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi everyone. First let me thank Michael and Roy (I apologize, but I don't know Roy's last name). They saved me at least $300 to $400. I and my wallet are grateful.

For those that are interested in how we did what we did, take a look at the attached file. This will walk you step-by-step through the process. And... if I can do it, anyone can.

Attachments

• Band Saw Fix.docx
    10.2 MB · Views: 47

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Excellent write-up and photos. I'm glad it worked out. It sounds like you had some excellent motor mechanics on hand to help out.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi everyone. ... take a look at the attached file. This will walk you step-by-step through the process. And... if I can do it, anyone can.
With a disclaimer that absolves all of any liabilities, this would make a great addition to the Resources forum, as a how-to to fix a centrifugal motor switch. LoL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors