Attention Turners/Carvers: Free Bradford Pear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Soo.... I went out to mow the lawn this morning during which I invariable bang my head (or back, shoulder, arm, etc) on my dead Bradfor Bear (discussed in other threads). I had been waiting to take it down until I was better prepared to use the wood but it's so far down on my project list that I rather impulsively got out the chainsaw and went to work. I'll post WIP pics later but I wanted to get photos of what was available up before I go to my 2pm meeting. I know absolutely nothing about harvesting wood, what's worth keeping, what isn't, so I'll post the pics of what I didn't throw on the brush pile and you can tell me what you want and how to preserver it for you (I have a limited supply of Anchorseal thanks to Andy).

Even if you're not interested in the wood please feel free to tell me what's worth saving (and how t should be done) and what's firewood.

I forgot to take a picture of the trunk so here's what it looked like last week....
bradford.jpg

View image in gallery

Here are two pictures of larger diamerter cutoffs and interesting other pieces. Again, if it's firewood tell me. If you want to claim part of it, tell me that too. I'd think there are some smaller pens/bottle stoppers/handles hidden in there somewhere....

Ok, and for the last picture we have candidates for walking sticks etc... Andy gets first choice here but here are many with potential as far as I can tell. Some are quite straight, some have more character....

I'll check the thread later this afternoon to see if there are any takers. I can probably bring orders to the spring picnic if you're not in a hurry.

Travis

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Did I give you enough to seal all the end grain? Pear starts checking pretty quick.
I would love to have one of the straight log sections and a straight branch or two.

Rob

New User
Rob
How large in diameter is the trunk. Might be interested in the trunk or a piece of it.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Did I give you enough to seal all the end grain? Pear starts checking pretty quick.
I would love to have one of the straight log sections and a straight branch or two.

Not on all the cut pieces I don't think. That's why I figured I'd try to get ya'll to tell me which ones are worth sealing.... If you tell me which ones you want I'll seal 'em and set 'em aside for you.

How long is "pretty quick"? I didn't get them sealed this afternoon becuase I had to get to an appointment. Heading down to help with kids and dinner right now. Can it wait until tomorrow morning or should I set up the work lights and do it tonight?

How large in diameter is the trunk. Might be interested in the trunk or a piece of it.

I'd guestimate 7-9 inches, wider in one direction than the other. You can use my 5yo as a reference in the first pic....

Oh and note that the trunk isn't in any of the cut pictures, those are from the larger branch pieces you can see in the first pic. Forgot to take a picture of the trunk after I took it down.

Travis

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
For bowls and such, you're best bet is probably the trunk, and or the crotch. More diameter = more useful wood = bigger bowls. Typically, when you're turning a bowl, you don't want much of the pith in there, which means that you're going from outside of that to the bark. I would save the trunk. Possibly just in one piece, the way you've got it. Just Anchor Seal the ends. Then if somebody stops by and wants the whole thing, they can have it, or just cut chunks off per what people want. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS