Are urethane bandsaw belts worth the expense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCCat

New User
JC
Hi all. New member here. I recently bought a "homemade/kit" bandsaw with 18 inch wheels and was wondering if the urethane belts are worth the expense. My top belt seems ok but the bottom one looks as if it might split at any time so was also wondering if I can replace 1 at a time or do I have to replace both at same time? Since they go for around $32 each was hoping for a one-at-a-timer. This is my first bandsaw and it works great, Got it out of Iwanna for $200 so I am very happy.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi all. New member here. I recently bought a "homemade/kit" bandsaw with 18 inch wheels and was wondering if the urethane belts are worth the expense. My top belt seems ok but the bottom one looks as if it might split at any time so was also wondering if I can replace 1 at a time or do I have to replace both at same time? Since they go for around $32 each was hoping for a one-at-a-timer. This is my first bandsaw and it works great, Got it out of Iwanna for $200 so I am very happy.

I wouldn't replace them one at a time because of the possibility that the different characteristics and slight overall difference in dia or where the blade likes to track might cause vibration. As to whether they are worth the money? if you can get the originals and they are much cheaper then maybe go that route, others may offer first hand advise.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I too would replace both of them. Urethane is nice, and I have used both, but i can't say that I have noticed that much difference in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors