Anyone turning pens for the troops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I seem to remember some discussion of this a while back...

(not sure what category to put question this in?)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Chris I just sent 5 off to Doug Robinson and I am sure a few others are doing them as well

wrwilder

New User
Ray
I'm not a turner but I'd like to donate walnut and cherry shorts to anyone who is turning for this good cause. Just let me know and I'll make them available. Just let me know what size you need for the turning.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
We are slowly working toward our goal of at least 70 pens. Beside myself The following people have committed to help, or alredy have:

Phil Ashley
ScottM
Sawduster
nblong
jpr28056
Pchristy.

The pens are for a unit of Seabees deployed to Afghanstan. CPO Thomas Sanchez is in the unit and saved the life of a pro triathlete, Jordan Rapp, I know, two weeks before he was deployed. This is a thank you to him and an appreciation to the troops for their service to our country.

Anyone is welcome to help. Just PM me.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
First let me state for the record, I don't know the first thing about turning pens (or anything spinny). I came across some really wild grain in some horribly crooked white oak boards turned firewood. The crazy grain was isolated to a few small areas, so it didn't look like I could harvest anything large enough for any of my projects. It seemed a pity to waste it, so I cut it into a handful of roughly pen-sized blanks...or so I'm guessing as I have no idea what size they should be for pens. Anyway, if anyone is doing pens for the troops in the Triangle and would like these, PM me! I don't know if these are even worth driving across town for? I tried to get a decent picture. A few have some cracks or voids, but they still seem rock solid (and very dense).

WhiteOakPenBlanksWithWildGrain.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We are slowly working toward our goal of at least 70 pens. Beside myself The following people have committed to help, or alredy have:

Phil Ashley
ScottM
Sawduster
nblong
jpr28056
Pchristy.

The pens are for a unit of Seabees deployed to Afghanstan. CPO Thomas Sanchez is in the unit and saved the life of a pro triathlete, Jordan Rapp, I know, two weeks before he was deployed. This is a thank you to him and an appreciation to the troops for their service to our country.

Anyone is welcome to help. Just PM me.

Thanks,

Doug

I'm bad...Give me a date you want them ready and they will be. I work best with a deadline.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Scott how about you try to get me yours by 7/21.

Rob, I will give a total tonight when I get home. I will have to add them up.

Doug

sawduster

New User
Robert
no hard feelings if you have enough committed and do not need all of mine ( truly ) I enjoy turning pens and would like to give everyone who is interested a chance to contribute :icon_thum
Any excess will not go to waste on my end I assure you :eusa_danc

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Any of you guys that can not contribute by turning the pens on the lathe - maybe you could donate a few kits to the turner closest to you and let him or her turn them for you - Drop a note with the pen and let the receiver know a little about yourself and the turner and what type of wood/acrylic and style of pen it is - just a thought - www.pennstateind.com has a few kit bundles that are nice and in a good price range - Here is a few starter kits you might be interested in if you would like to contribute to this good cause

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKGAFREE.html
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSP103G.html?mybuyscid=3900920315
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSP103E.html?mybuyscid=3900920315

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS