Anyone know a place to buy upholstery foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
I need to get some thick foam, the type that is used in cushions and upholstery. We need it for a sleeping compartment on our boat. The v-berth has custom shaped cushions but they are very thin and uncomfortable, so we would like to look into getting some nice thick foam that we could make into shaped cushions.

Another question for anyone who may know...how do you cut the foam? I seem to remember trying to do a similar project years ago but found it impossible to make straight cuts in the foam...it wanted to cut very jaggedly.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
We have used it for a few projects and get it at the fabric store (Jo-Ann, because that is what is near us,but any good fabric store has it) also. Be aware in comes in a few densities; there is more to it than just thickness. You want the dense stuff. I made V berth cushions for a small sailboat and it was a pain to sew the covers. I would check the density first; it is possible you can go to a better foam in the same thickness and reuse the covers. As to cutting, I did non stop multiple passes with a utility knife. In other words, I followed my line without stopping the entire length only cutting in a blade depth and then made another pass for another blade dept, etc. Do not compress it to cut - you will not get vertical sides unless you are really lucky or far more skilled than I.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Mill Outlet on Capital Blvd (just north of I-540) has a wide selection of foam in various thicknesses and will cut it for you. Here is their website: http://www.milloutletvillage.com/
I notice they also have stores in Wilmington, New Bern and Clinton but I've never been to those (phone numbers and addresses are on their website)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I just completed a set of dining room chairs. The seats were to be covered with padding and fabric. The wife found the fabric while I headed to an upholstery shop.
In talking with the owner I was able to purchase 2 sheets of 2" thick foam that he uses to cover his chairs. Price was his cost.
So my guidance would be to hunt out a similar shop in your area.
You may/not get it at cost but even if it's marked up just a bit, to be sure you should end up with what you need.
I believe I paid 25.00 per sheet/ Sheet = 24" x 80" x thickness.
I cut mine with an electric knife (works really well) no compression or distortion of the foam. Also I have used my band saw which worked just as well.

HTH

MAC

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
You may want to consider "Marine" foam if there is a chance of getting it wet. I doesn't support mold growth.
I used it for an outdoor sofa project and have been very happy with it. Here's the link: http://www.foamforyou.com

They will custom cut to your specs. It was a little on the expensive side but I think worth it.

Good luck,

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You may want to consider "Marine" foam if there is a chance of getting it wet. I doesn't support mold growth.
I used it for an outdoor sofa project and have been very happy with it. Here's the link: http://www.foamforyou.com

They will custom cut to your specs. It was a little on the expensive side but I think worth it.

Good luck,

+1 on the marine foam. Regular foam is open cell (think SPONGE). Marine foam is closed cell and MAY be required in this application but is certainly a good idea. In the event of a capsize they will float. The fabric should also be a product with mold/mildew resistance. JMTCW.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I've heard of laminating layers of carpet padding to achieve the desired thickness. Pretty cheap and easy to find. Can be cut to a pattern before laminating, alleviating the slanted sides. Also supposed to be available in low to high densities.

Good idea or bad idea? :dontknow:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ditto on the electric knife for cutting. If the top cover is air tight (naugahyde, etc), make sure you drill some 1" holes in the plywood bottom to let the air escape. It also will help let moisture drain through and the cushions air out after sitting on them with wet swimsuits, etc.

Go

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I see you live in Jamestown. You might want to try visiting the local furniture foam factorys. I know most have closed down but there has to be some left in "the furiture capital of the world". Alot will just give you what you need, becouse the are just going to melt it down anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS