Anyone have extended rails on their G1023Z fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have a stock G1023Z (with fence that guides on angle irons) with a 25" rip capacity but am going to need to go wider. Grizzly sells an extended rails that go out to 50" but they have legs for support and I am not going to be able to accommodate that due to my less than planar floor and need for mobility.

How far beyond the 25" do you think I can go and still utilize the standard mounting system without additional support?

Ideally I would like to get 40" capacity, and I suppose I could make a brace to support the ends by running more angle iron to the base of the machine but I am trying to avoid this extra time and cost if possible.

Thoughts??

jeb1959

New User
Jim
I have the G1023, an older version with extended rails except that they're tubular, not angle iron. They are not supported at the ends and I've never had a problem with them. I wouldn't want to rest anything heavy on them but they've held up just fine with normal use over the last 10 years. I'm not sure how the tubes compare to the angle iron in strength but Grizzly makes a pretty good product and I suspect that if you don't subject them to alot of downward pressure the rails should hold up. My biggest problem with my fence is that it isn't as accurate as I'd like it to be. If and when I ever get a few extra dollars I'll probably buy the Shop Fox fence made for the saw. I've read that it's a very good fence. I hope that helps. Jim

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If your fence is a Bies clone (I suspect it is), it uses a 2 X 3, 14 ga rect tube, supported by a 2 X 3 piece of angle iron. If so, Dillon Supply sells the tubing and angle in 20' lengths. You can geta couple of sets of rails and fence out a length. Cutting isn't a big deal, the hardest part is drilling attaching holes. When you go out beyond 25", you will need a support for the extended table. Old bed rails (read FREE beside the street on trash day) work nicely for this. A welder, drill press, and power hack saw are the needed tools. I have built several Bies clones over the years. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors