Anyone have a jig for narrow repetitive rip cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hello braintrust,
I have a need to cut a bunch of 1/4" thick strips approx. 25" long from 11/16" stock. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to keep the thickness consistent. I remember seeing a homemade tablesaw jig somewhere, which would help in moving the fence exactly the same distance every time. Anyone have or seen such a jig? Other ideas are more than welcome.:eusa_pray
Thanks for your assistance,

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Another option is to setup a piece of wood...aka...sac. fence... on the left side of the blade. Clamp it to the table to give a distance (left to right) from the sac fence to the blade that equals the width that you are looking for. Keep the sac fence in front of the blade, though, to keep from having a problem with kickback. (Make sure the wood fence is on the 'infeed' part of the table, but is not long enough to reach the front of the blade. So, after each cut, move the fence on the right enough so that the wood is 'squeezed' between the two fences. Then, when cutting, the wood is only riding on the fence to the right when it's being cut and the piece you are keeping falls off to the left of the blade)

I hope that makes sense...

Chris

Last edited:

sediener

New User
Steve
You could always rip them close and drumsand them into submission. If you don't have a drum sander, I'm sure someone on here would offer theirs up for a beer or two.

- Steve

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've been using this jig for a long time. Keeps your hand away from the blade and is easy to make. More pix under JIGS in my album. I cut it 4" wide so I could use my fence tape.
I always use my splitter and guard. This pic was for Shopnotes a while back but you get the idea. The 1/8" hardboard pusher foot is screwed to the block up high with alum or brass screws; just in case! The pusher foot will get eaten up if you ever do caning strips, so it's replaceable. The leading edge has a slight bevel so it will slip under the guard easily.
Joe
SplineJig005.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
rip em 5/16 thick and run em through the planer. a couple light pass should do it.most lunchbox type planers will go down beyond the 1/4" thickness. if you are uncomfortable with this you can make a sled for the planer. they all come out smooth and consistantly sized.

fred p

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone:eusa_clap! Good ideas as usual. I know I can always count on NCWWers to help me out. Take care,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS