Anyone ever fix a step pulley with JB Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I am repairing a drill press that my father made while studying to be an Industrial Arts Teacher.

So, I am trying to keep it "original", so to speak.

Have a 4 step motor pulley that has a chip out of it.

Has anyone ever tried to build up a missing section with JB weld and have it hold up in use?

Be glad for any thoughts or ideas.

Here is a photo of damage.
100_2106.JPG

View image in gallery

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wouldn't trust it because of the centrifugal force. If this is the spindle pulley, you' be swinging 6K+ rpm in high speeds. If it's a cast iron pulley, try getting it brazed & then file it out. If it's pot metal, use it as a paperweight.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I do stupid stuff all the time and I wouldn't do that...

Seriously, getting it balanced and being sure it won't come out would be very difficult. Maybe you can cross match the part and find a common use for it to find a replacement that is just like the original.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like cast aluminum?

I would find a replacement, I pretty sure that is an off the shelf part.

If it had been a part he machined then I would do everything possible to save it, but a standard part even he would say just buy another.

There's a machine shop in Colfax that I use a lot. I'm sure they can make a great part to fit if you can't find one.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
This is the driver pulley that goes on the motor. It looks like it is cast pot metal, feels too heavy to be aluminium, but I really can't be sure. Has two set screws to hold it to the motor shaft. It also has been drilled to balance it.

Last edited:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If that's an old Craftsman DP, I've got one that's been running for over 25 years with that same type break. Hasn't missed a lick.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I thought about mentioning that if it were dead on, or just a few thou off in the right direction, it would not matter much. That's the kind of "stupid" I would do (referencing my earlier post, not trying to apply that label to anyone else :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS