Any veneering gurus @ NCWW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
This is an art that has been intriguing to me for some time. I'm ready to pull the trigger on some purchases and was looking for some advice. Obviously I need to replace my old Craftsman 12" BS with a better resaw machine. That may have to wait but in the meanwhile I'll probably buy veneer online to work with. I'd like to start buying the start-up gear and wanted advice primarily related to vacuum-bag systems. Any recommendations? I've browsed over the JoeWoodworker site and was leaning towards a venturi setup with my pancake compressor. Also, wondering about other tools, saws, glue, tape etc. Thanks!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I have the venturi system that I bought from Veneer Supplies.com (Joe Woodworker) I have an 80 gallon 7 1/2 HP compressor but it runs very little or hardly at all with my venturi set-up if the bag is sealed good- not sure about a pancake compressor but suspicion it may be OK. My venturi set-up works very well, I love it. I just bit the bullet and just bought a 4'x4' bag from VeneerSuppplies, and don't regret it. I have the material to make the bags but just haven't found time to do it. I have bought tape, conditioner, glue and veneer from them too, with no complaints. They will be glad you help you with any questions or veneer problems you encounter in the shop. He always answers my emails fairly quickly with personable helpful responses.

Last edited:

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks! Did you veneer those side panels on the A&C nightstands in your gallery? Very impressive stuff in there! I'm planning on starting simple and doing veneer tabletops and some panels. Hopefully move on to curved work eventually. Thanks for the 411. I think my pancake will work with the venturi system up to 4X4 bags, at least that's what his site says. Sounds like venturi is the way to go compared to vacuum pumps. Unless someone far more knowledgeable than me (pretty much anyone) chimes in, I guess I'll go that route...

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Thanks! Did you veneer those side panels on the A&C nightstands in your gallery? Very impressive stuff in there! I'm planning on starting simple and doing veneer tabletops and some panels. Hopefully move on to curved work eventually. Thanks for the 411. I think my pancake will work with the venturi system up to 4X4 bags, at least that's what his site says. Sounds like venturi is the way to go compared to vacuum pumps. Unless someone far more knowledgeable than me (pretty much anyone) chimes in, I guess I'll go that route...

Yes, I veneered the side panels of the nightstands and the dresser that are in my gallery. On the current project I am working on, I veneered some 7' long panels and they turned out perfect- Not a reflection on me but rather a testimony as to how well the vacuum press works. I thought I would have found a vacuum pump while knocking around so many hospitals doing work, But the venturi system works great and I cannot think of a single negative to point out.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Can't wait to start messing with some veneer work. Do you use MDF as a substrate and also, do you purchase or make your own veneers? Also, wondering if you always veneer all six sides of a board? When I decided to delve into this aspect of WW I was thinking it may save money over solid stock. After pricing some veneer I see that is most definitely NOT the case...Thanks!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Can't wait to start messing with some veneer work. Do you use MDF as a substrate and also, do you purchase or make your own veneers? Also, wondering if you always veneer all six sides of a board? When I decided to delve into this aspect of WW I was thinking it may save money over solid stock. After pricing some veneer I see that is most definitely NOT the case...Thanks!

I have always used baltic birch plywood for my substrates. I don't use MDF in my projects. I have used the MLCS edge banding bit set and inset solid wood edging around substrates before face venering for a number of reasons. I buy most all of my veneers, but have made veneers a few times for odd situations such as wormy chestnut projects, or for instance one time I had to saw out some matching quarter sawn oak veneer pieces for an Arts & Crafts project.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Any particular reason for BB over MDF? Also, where do you purchase most of your veneer? Thanks!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Seems to me plywood is stronger, more durable and more stable. MDF is too much like particle board for my liking. I have gotten most of my veneer off ebay or from veneer supplies.com. On ebay, I like doing business with rjfritz, thinwoodsandoldtools and Greatdane6 ( I Think that is the number, he is in High Point NC). There's several other veneer dealers on there that are OK. I may be selling a bunch of my veneer soon.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
http://woodtreks.com/animal-protein-hide-glues-how-to-make-select-history/1549/

I don't know if I am a veneering guru but I have been doing it for a long time so I think some of what I might describe its "dated" to some but useful to others.

Currently, I am working veneer to fancy up a project. I have always wanted a vacuum press from Joe Woodworker but I can't seem to pull the trigger with all of the work I have done with hot hide glue and a veneer hammer. Having said that.. I would still like to have a press.

I like the hide glue and its qualities for repair and touch up. I don't veneer at all with PVA. Like you, I have a couple of compressors so I'm thinking of going the venturi route. Hey if it doesn't work well(cycles too much) you can always refit with the vacuum pump.

The address at the top has lots of good info if you want to fool with hide glue. Low investment, high return and a good skill set to have in your kit.

I would like to attach a few photos of the stuff I am working(veneer) but I can't seem to figure out how to do this???

Some day
dan

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Any particular reason for BB over MDF? Also, where do you purchase most of your veneer? Thanks!

I much prefer MDF: It is dimensionally stable, flat and smooth.

As for veneer: If you looking for walnut, cherry or maple, I have several thousand square feet.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS