Any ideas for restoring old hammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
I have some old hammers that belonged to my grandfather that I would like to restore. I think I will use electrolysis on the heads. I'm not sure how to remove and reattach the wood handles, or what to do with the wood itself. I think the handles are oak. Suggestions?

Here is the set

DSC01040.jpg

Not a great looking repair.

DSC01041.jpg

Never seen a hammer like this. Anyone know what kind of hammer this is?

DSC01044.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's an upholsterer's hammer. Upholstery tacks being short, would be placed in the notch to start them & then the hammer face reversed to drive it home.

As to removing/replacing the handle, the steel wedge in the top must be extracted via pliers if possible. The handle should then slip out or can be driven out with a flat ended punch. If a new handle is needed it can be sized with a spokeshave, draw knife, or rasp to fit the head. New handles are slotted & usually longer than needed to go through the head so after they are fitted they can be sawed off flush with the top of the head and the steel wedge reinstalled.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The little tack hammer should be magnetic on the slotted end. The magnet holds the tacks to that end.

I would not change any of the handles except for the one that is not fitted properly. Actually that one is the oldest and should have a nice handle made for it.

Unless the heads are really rusty I wouldn't do much to them, just clean and oil. Maybe clean the handles with a scotch pad and re-varnish with a mix of BLO and spar varnish.

That is a nice collection and is good to have handed down from your grand dad.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I agree with Mike. Those dings, dents, and dirt are the result of your Grandfather's blood, sweat and maybe even a few tears.

David

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I agree. Do not replace the handles until there is a reason (they are cracked, loose, etc). I have several from my dad and grandpa (and I am in my 60s) that I still use. Surface red rust (ferric oxide) is easily removed with WD-40 or 3 in 1 oil and steel wool/wire brush. Black rust (ferrous oxide) is inert and will actually protect the surface.

Go

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Reminds me of a hammer I got from my grandad. it's nearly 100 years old - through the years he replaced the head twice and the handle 4 times - still bangs a nail like the day it was new!

Glennbear

Glenn
Reminds me of a hammer I got from my grandad. it's nearly 100 years old - through the years he replaced the head twice and the handle 4 times - still bangs a nail like the day it was new!

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Len

New User
Len
If the handle in the second picture isn't split or cracked in a way that makes it dangerous to continue using this is a technique I've used to get 'hand-me-down/inherited' hammers functional again:

1. Get the metal wedge and nails out of the handle.
2. Pull the handle out of the head and clean up the splintering from the end.
3. Make 2 maple or ash wedges about 3in's long, the same width as the end of the handle, and 1/8th to 3/16th in wide on the thick end
4. Reinstall the handle, place one of the wood wedges on each side and drive in evenly until the center gap is closed tightly.
5. Trim the handle and wedges off flush with, or just proud of, the hammer head.
6. Reinstall the steel wedge in the handle end and find some nails to pound.

Len

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'm willing to bet that the handle on the oldest one (the one with all the nails, etc. in it) was probably bought at a home center or lumberyard relatively recently: the opening in the head is probably bigger than modern hammers (you'll have to do a little research - it's only a guess on my part).

I think it would be a cool project to get a piece of hickory and hand-make a new handle for it.

YMMV...

:kermit: Steve

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I agree 100% about leaving them as 'original' as possible. They won't work any better when shiny, and will have lost lots of their character. I like tools, furniture, and people to have a little patina in one way or another :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors