Antler pen blanks????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I was given this rack and several others by a friend. I would like to try some antler pens but have no clue as to how cut it up for blanks. Does it have "pith" that has to be avoided? Should I utilize the thickest sections, or something that is closer to the finished pen size? Is the material near the base (the brown area) better to work with? Any tips, trick, advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated.
TIA :icon_thum
Dave:)

Pics of my rack :lol: :lol:

Pens.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't know if this will help, but is a quote from one experienced in such as this on another forum:

" I usually try to offset the hole slightly so the marrow is an accent line on one side only doesn't always work.

I turn the the antler round and just before it get it to final size I stabalize the marrow with ca or thinned lacqor. after turning it to size I reply the the ca before sanding. and final finish." The turner's name is Ian.

Go

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol::eusa_danc:eusa_dancOh man, I'm jealous of your rack!! Very nice...ok...so I've turned a couple antler pens now, so I'm the expert...lucky you, one stop shopping on antler advice because I'm part of this board :roll::roll::roll: OK...so Eagle or someone with experience will hopefully chime in, but here's what I have learned in my amateur status.

1) My most difficult part is not drilling blanks like most people. It is actually getting antlers.
2) I tried to find straight parts to cut out of the antler. I had one given to me that was basically circular. I couldn't get a single blank out of it. Your picture looks great....lots of straight pieces.
3) The middle of the antler is marrow (I guess) You probably want to minimize the amount of marrow that show. But then, you may want more to show as it could add character to the pen. The bone will turn nice and white and look/feel and turn like plastic. The marrow will show as splotchy and gray/black. It can be a nice look, but depends on what you are looking for.
4) I like the lower part of the antler where it has the 'bark' on it. Ideally, in my mind, I would drill it and turn it in such a way that as much bark would remain on the blank as possible.
5) I have read...that you should use CA glue as a sanding sealer after you get the pen to the size you want and before you start sanding. Apparently, the bone is very porous and will fill with dark sanding grit, changing the appearance of your antler/pen.
6) Use sharp tools and sharpen often. It takes the edge off of mine fairly quickly.
7) back to drilling....take the extra time to line the antler up with the bit. Be patient as your standard blank drilling vice is not going to necessarily help you here...if the antler is crooked, you will need to get creative with the way you hold it in place to keep the bit from driving out of the side of the antler....
8) I have read that 1 year is the majic number for aging antler...I don't know first hand, though. If it is less than 1, it will smell real bad.
9) Be safe and wear a mask/respirator. I don't know that antler is all that bad, but why take the chance.

OK...that's all I can think of for now...good luck and post pix!!

Cheers!
Chris

PS the following pix...the first one shows the bark...the second one shows the marrow coming through on the opposite side....

Mathes_051.jpg

Mathes_053.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Chris and Go. How much of the center is the marrow? Is it greater than 10mm calling for a thicker pen kit? The lower section on the piece of antler that I showed is 1"-1½" in dia. will I turn all the good bark away getting it down to pen dia.?
Arggg, so many questions, I guess I should just mess up a few to see what works the best :lol: :lol:

woodrat

New User
Archie
Thanks Chris and Go. How much of the center is the marrow? Is it greater than 10mm calling for a thicker pen kit? The lower section on the piece of antler that I showed is 1"-1½" in dia. will I turn all the good bark away getting it down to pen dia.?
Arggg, so many questions, I guess I should just mess up a few to see what works the best :lol: :lol:

Hey DaveO,

I don't know anything about turning pens or any turning at all.
I do know about re-shaping and sanding antler products. I have
made several gun stocks from antler and can tell you, as stated
earlier, best wear a mask and eye protection.

When cutting and sanding, this stuff produces a very very fine
dust, smells really bad and the smell permeates you, your clothes,
everything. It seems like one can smell and taste it for days after
working with it. :new_Eyecr

Good luck working with it. I'd like a chance to buy a pen after you
get some done.

Hope this helps some.

Woodrat

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Don't worry about the pith.Antler is a natural product and as such it is what it is.
You will find even the marrow is beautiful.When stabilized with CA it has a "crystaline appearance.
You gonna tell the Big Guy he made it wrong?
This pen is made entirely of antler Marrow that "I Eagleyezed"
Eaglized_Antler.jpg

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

I'm no help to you on this one.

I have antler sitting here ready to go, but have not had any time to experiment with it.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors