Another WW in WNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome again! You may take the award for the most unique user name. I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing some of your projects.
Dave:)

b4man

New User
Barbara
Welome David! Care to elaborate on the user name? I hope you love being here as much as I do!

M

McRabbet

Welcome David. I'm nearby in Hendersonville and have been a member since early November and love this site -- I'm sure you will, too. You need to follow-up and let our membership know what your interests are, because we've got lots of areas covered from wood turners, to cabinet makers, to furniture crafters, to sawdust creators! I'm one that likes cabinets and furniture and just the joy of a few hours in the shop.

Be sure to request a Photo Gallery (Click on Other Links in the Main Menu Bar and then request services) so you can share pictures of you, your shop and your projects. And as Insomniac mentions, be sure to sign up for the Western NC Woodworking Club Interest Group -- we're trying to get a club together to share woodworking ideas face-to-face.

Don't hesitate to ask questions and welcome to the forum. By the way -- I thought all of Fletcher was in Henderson County -- when did Buncombe steal part of it? :lol:

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
Hi and welcome to the site! Will you tell us how you chose your screen name? Please post pictures - we LOVE pictures, I'm sure you'll find lots of friendly and helpful folks here. Glad you joined us.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi David,

I think that there are some folks here that would like to know what is behind the screen name.

Welcome to ya and hope you have fun scooping all the this excellent woodworking knowledge and techniques!

See ya,

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for joining us David. We look forward to your input.

Hmm, certainly is an memorable handle :cool: Woodnet IIRC???

Sapwood

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Welcome David, I'm another local - live in Horse Shoe and work in Asheville. I look forward to meeting you some time in the near future.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Welcome David

Yep, you got everyones attention with your screen name. Anyway, glad to have you with us and as you see, we really like the pictures so request an album and show off a little.

Inflatable Screen Door

New User
David Maida
The Inflatable Screen Doors name comes from a summer camp I went to as a kid. Every year the camp split in two and had a big olymipics style compitition. One year my team decided to name it self the "Inflatable Screen Doors". You must admit it's a clever name.

McRabbit:
The northern 20% of Fletcher is in Buncombe. But we Buncombe Fletcheriets are the bastard residents of Fletcher. We pay Buncombe tax and therefore cannot use the services of being a Fletcher resident. Like I can't use the Fletcher library even though it's seconds from my house.

I've signed up for the WNC club. I'm a hobbiest woodworker. My shop is my two car garage. The cars park outside. I more of a power tool than hand tool guy. So maybe a meeting on handtools like chisels and planes would be very informative for me. I'm really a transplanted yankee. I moved to Asheville from New York City (Brooklyn) about two years ago. I'm still getting my shop together. I've got two sons (6 and 2) and another boy on the way (due in may). I like to build furniture. I'm building a bunk bed for the two boys to make room for the third. I'll try to post some pics of that. I'm fairly new to furniture building and I still prefer to use plans and instructions. I've done alot of home improvement projects and outdoor construction so that's probably my strengths. I've never used a lathe or done carving or fancy venneers.

To the other Asheville area woodworkers: Where do you buy your hardwood like oak, maple, cherry, etc...? Do you buy roughsawn? Do you buy it dry or green? I have a jointer and planner so rough is what I prefer. I also use my garage attic to dry lumber so wet is not a problem but sometimes I need a few pieces that are dry and ready to use right away. Where are the good sources for rough sawn lumber in the asheville area?

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Ahoy there!

Welcome aboard! This is a great crew here so we are sure you will enjoy the site.

Is there a ENCWW's? We are so lonely here on the frontier! :eusa_booh

Duke & Irene

M

McRabbet

David -- thanks for the bio update -- I learned something about our local geography I didn't know -- but it is pretty lame that you cannot use the Town of Fletcher Library (FWIW, the Henderson County Library system is strongly lacking in up-to-date woodworking books in their collection). Sounds like you are like many of us in that we covet power tools (our "Tim-the-Toolman" testosterone seems to be a guiding force :cool: ), but I do enjoy the peace and quiet of the sound of a long shaving coming off a board or the slow thump-thump of a mallet on my chisel squaring out a mortise!

Don't put yourself down for using plans for you projects -- after all, plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery -- 80-90% of my projects have been from plans and I appreciate the work that others did to make them available to me. Some of my favorite books are detailed drawings and plans of Period furniture by Gottshall; many of which I plan to reproduce one day -- My best "non-plan" project was an entertainment center I designed and completed last fall on commission and I always look for more opportunities like it! And my shop, like most, is a work-in-progress -- will it ever be done?

Re: Wood in the area -- I've purchased rough lumber from Gennett Lumber in Asheville, though some have had problems with them (see this thread. I've also purchased from Greenville-Spartanburg Hardwood Center and Tidewater Lumber in Greer, SC.

Look forward to face-to-face and will be happy to help you with any of your projects -- more coming on our first WNC WW club meeting.

Rob

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Welcome David,
Hope you enjoy the site and will learn a lot. There's a lot of talent here and nice folks. Glad you joined up in our WNC group, we're supposed to have a meeting pretty soon. As for wood in this area, there's lots of small sawmills around, just need to check some of them out. There's a guy in Arden that set-up a nice operation and I need to call him myself because he has a kiln. As for me, I cut the trees and logs, and take them to the sawmill for most of the wood I use.
My Best
Randy

clowman

Clay Lowman
Hey, I work out of my garage as well! At least till I make enough to pay for a free standing shop. Don't know how if ever that'll take. Anyways, welcome to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS