another WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I havent posted in awhile so I thought I would post a WIP.
I am doing a open segment turning, what James calls a snaggle tooth turning.

Gluing the first ring on, showing the home built gluing platform.

oswip1.jpg

A close up of the business part, with a special built stop block :gar-La;

oswip2.jpg

And a picture of the homemade index wheel, this one has 32 indexes , a bit rough but it works just fine.

oswip3.jpg

The second ring glued on, even though each piece was thickness sanded and the top looks flat and smooth, its not good enough to glue the next ring

oswip4.jpg

So I mark each segment with a pencil.

oswip5.jpg

And after the glue has set for at least 15 mins. then hold the sanding stick on it, its not spinning in the picture but it is spinning while I hold the sanding stick on it, LOW SPEED

oswip6.jpg

And now it's dead flat and smooth ready for the next ring, of course this is done after each ring even though I didnt show it after the first ring

oswip7.jpg

Thanks for looking
Just hope someone enjoyed it.

navy1990

New User
Matt
Earl,

As a new turner, your work truly amazes me. I hope to someday be half as talented as you are with the spinny stuff. Beautiful work as always and I love seeing the WIP's.

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Earl,

I'm not a turner so your post was interesting to me to see the steps necessary to turn a segmented piece. How do you fill in the gaps? Are they cut as small segments and glued in?

I,ve seen pictures of your other work and it is beautiful.
Thanks for the wip. Keep them coming.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Lyell

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Earl,

I'm not a turner so your post was interesting to me to see the steps necessary to turn a segmented piece. How do you fill in the gaps? Are they cut as small segments and glued in?

I,ve seen pictures of your other work and it is beautiful.
Thanks for the wip. Keep them coming.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Lyell

This one is an open segment piece, the holes will be left, so the finished piece will have gaps in it.
Like this one.

sixwood_open.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Earl,

That is looking good~! So what is it going to be? A Vase, Cookie jar? It's pretty wide at the bottom and I just can't figure it out.

Love the wood choices~!

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Earl,

That is looking good~! So what is it going to be? A Vase, Cookie jar? It's pretty wide at the bottom and I just can't figure it out.

Love the wood choices~!

Its wide on the bottom because its gong to need a big bottom to keep from falling over

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Thanks for the explanation & photos of the sanding step. I would never have known to do that. Of course, I don't think I'll try a segmented turning without lots of advice from someone like you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS