Another Router Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
The plans I am using to make a baby cradle required a 3/4" dowel to routed on the end to create a wooden pin. The plan provided instructions to make the jig shown below. Probably most folks knew how to do this but I didn't and thought it was a neat jig. A different size hole on the other end would allow the jig to do two different size dowels. Note the green $5 Woodcraft bit.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSC02134.JPG
    DSC02134.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 241

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a dang good idea. I would have tried something like that on the lathe and totally boogered it up. That jig looks to be fool proof, given the proper fool. What do you use to set the depth of cut i.e. how much shoulder is created?

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I only had to make two dowels with tenons for the cradle but it took just a few minutes to make the jig. Here are the instructions to make it.

1. Make it about 6" long by 1 1/2 " wide by 1 3/4" high (plan suggested ripping a 2 x 4 in half). I used two pieces of scrap maple that were already glued up.
2. Next drill a hole the size of the dowel all the through near one end of the jig, centered on the thickness of the jig.
3. Then attach a piece of 1/8 or 1/4" hardboard, plywood, etc. to the bottom of the jig, making sure there are no nails, brads near the hole you drilled. (Don't drill a hole through the 1/4" bottom)
4. Mount a straight 1/4" bit in the table router and adjust the fence so the bit is centered on the jig at the end where the hole is drilled.
5. Raise the bit until its height is above the table the lenght of the tenon you want plus the thickness of the bottom of the jig that was added.
6. Now push the jig along the fence until the bit cuts about half way into the 3/4" hole.
7. To cut the shoulder of the tenon look down in the hole and back the jig up until you just see the edge of the bit.
8. Clamp the jig to the fence.
9. Turn the router on and push the dowel down in the hole and turn it clockwise like you are sharpening a pencil.
10. Pull the dowel out and measure the tenon. Now it is a matter of just adjusting the position of the jig a little more into the bit until you have the correct size tenon.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
By the way this is what I am working on. I still have the uprights, feet and bottom to make and I only have 8 weeks if everything is on schedule. :eusa_danc I didn't turn the spindles. I bought them with the plans.

Attachments

• DSC02135.JPG
    DSC02135.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 216

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great jig!!! (That's a keeper in my "file".......if you don't mind!) That cradle is certainly awesome. I am sure that it will instantly become a family heirloom, Dolan.

Would like to see a pic when you get it all done.

Great work.

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Excellent idea Dolan! This site is a wealth of information for a newbie like me! When I grow up, I want to be just like you guys (and gals):lol: !
Randy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for taking the time to detail the setup Dolan. I confess to being somewhat confused looking at the pic:eusa_shhh

Hmm, now if I just had a router table :lol:

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sapwood, if you need a router table, maybe we can strike a deal. I have an old one that I would be willing to let go at a bargain price. Let me know

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That jig is pure genius. Thank you for sharing with us.

The crib is priceless. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Chuck

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great job on the crib Dolan and thanks for posting the steps for building and using the jig.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO said:
Sapwood, if you need a router table, maybe we can strike a deal. I have an old one that I would be willing to let go at a bargain price. Let me know
Thanks DaveO, I would like to check it out. Since I'm spatially challenged my original intent was to setup router in TS extension wing, but I'm always willing to consider alternatives--especially bargains :lol:

Sapwood

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Yes that's a great jig. I have used that method also. One thing I might add is a way to set the cut of the diameter of the tenon you are routing.

Before you make the cut, install a 3/4 in router bit, or one the same size as the dowel you are working with in the router. Place the block over the bit so that the bit is inside the block hole. Now scribe a line on the fence and across the top of the block. You now have a reference to measure from and adjust the cut.
Remove the 3/4 in bit and Install the 1/4 inch bit, off-set the two scribed lines by 1/2 of the depth of the cut into the dowell (remember that you will rotate the dowell during the cut and remove wood from both sides, so you only go 1/2 the distance), and make your cut.
If you measure carefully you should be right on the first time.
What-ya think, worth the extra effort? Might be easier just to sneak up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors