Another newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Well, just a quick hello to everyone. I'm a serious part time woodworker that is still learning (guess we all are). I've been doing things with wood for about 30 years or so off and on, mostly on in the last ten or so. I moved to NC for a new job, and am just now finding new woodworking folks to talk with and share ideas. I found this site while surfing Fine Woodworking, so hopefully that will give you an idea of where my skills are, I find that area about a half notch above my skills, so they teach me a lot. One of the first things I need to find is a good spot to find materials at, a spot where I can get a deal on stuff and not have to buy a truck load of materials. My guy in Tenn. was a fellow situated three miles past the last power pole, so you could say he was really in the sticks. I welcome thoughts and ideas and hope I can share something with you as well.

MikeF

New User
Mike
Welcome to the site Phillip, glad you found it. I'm sure you will find answers to your questions here. How long have you been in NC?

T

toolferone

Welcome, welcome, welcome. The first order of business is to put up a photo album. We love to see pictures!!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Phillip, there is a list of wood suppliers here this link is on the top of the page, and there is a list of sawyers here. There is also a list of retailers associated twith woodworking, not including the BORG's, here. Hope all that helps. Welcome to the merriest bunch of sawdust makers around!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Phillip, I am glad that you joined. I look forward to talking and sharing ideas with you. Welcome to the gang :-D :-D :icon_thum

Dave:)

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've been in NC for a little over two years now. I bought a house and built a shop that I finished just a few months ago. The shop is the nicest one I've had, and right now the floor is covered in sawdust. My current project is a new workbench, one fashoned after the shaker style that you'd see at Hancock Shaker Village in MA. I've built all kinds of projects, from small furniture to complete kitchen cabinets.Several of the pictures I have of past projects are from my old shop that just barely got me by. I have pictures here and there, and as suggested will post a few later on. I brought enough lumber with me on the move that I haven't needed anything until now, but looks like future project requests are going to force me to find those connections. It looks like there is quite a list of places to check out. Have fun, count to ten when you're done.....

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Phillip! Nice looking work in your gallery. We look forward to hearing about your progress on the workbench. So jump in with questions and answers :mrgreen:

Roger

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Phillip -- glad to have you as part of the NC woodworking family.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome. You are definitely serious when you start seeing large woodworking benches.

What kind of vises are you going to use?

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Vises....well, I have a vise screw from my other bench that I think will work in the tail vise that goes in the right side of the top. The plan I have been working from uses a wooden screw about the same length as what I have. There is also a vise on the left side that I have not figured on as yet, but think I can add it on later if I want to, hopefully. I had hopes of building a nice bench and after seeing the shaker version in person decided that was the one I wanted to work from. I like it already and haven't even finished it yet. One thing is right though, I am serious about woodworking, and want to hone my skills as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS