Another new guy with tons of ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Hello all! I've been "observing" this board for a few months now since the ww'ing bug has gotten a hold of me lately and she's a nasty one! I'll be buying a table saw as soon as I make up my mind on what I want to start with, which brings me to my question. I've currently got a Dewalt 12" SCMS which was a gift a few years ago. I've used it on and off for a few household projects but have thought about trying to sell it. It's on a Stablemate folding stand and I'm working out of half a garage and this thing takes a lot of precious space. My thoughts were to buy a table saw, sell the monster SCMS and maybe one day buy another CMS. How much use does your CMS get in your shop?

Thanks for any input.

JT

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Don't sell - just add more.

You have a nice piece of equipment for cross cutting. Trimming things to lenght & square is always a key. Keep your slider and add a table saw to go with it and your on your way.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I agree, don't get rid of the scms! That's nice tool to have for all kinds of projects. Welcome to the forum! Lot's of good people and good info! You may want to consider a band saw before the table saw. They are very versitile tools.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Arguseyed!!!

I would suggest hanging onto the SCMS. I have a 12 inch CMS (not a slider) and it gets a lot of use crosscutting up to 8 inch stock. I tend to use it for precise cuts in narrow boards and trim. Keep an eye on the local Raleigh Craigslist and I am sure that you will find a fine used tablesaw to help fill up that garage shop of yours!

Be sure to open up a few photo albums and post some of your work .... we love pics!

Again. Welcome and have fun!

Wayne

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I would love to hav that saw but have to say I agree dont get rid of that saw

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group! I agree with all above - hold onto the saw. LOML has one that is not a sliding one, really wants to upgrade. They really serve a different function than the table saw.

J

jeff...

Don't get rid of it :slap:, unless your going to replace it with an upgraded one. Then you can post a tool gloat here and everyone will drool and say you suck. The "idea" is to keep adding MORE tools till you don't have enough room for them. Next thing you know you'll be building a bigger shop with lumber storage and be cranking out stuff quicker than DaveO and FredP 8-O

Mike don't get your hopes up either, I'm not buying your lathe. I would become addicted and would never get any sawing done.

Welcome to NCWoodworker.net

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have a small CMS and I don't use it as much as the miter on my TS because of the limited crosscut capacity. I do use it to trim long stock with a stop block. I wish I had a large SCMS like yours.

I say keep it. That's a very nice machine.

Chuck

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, JT! Sounds like you've gotten an early onset of the dreaded Woodguy Disease -- an uncontrollable urge to buy power tools! I'll join he others in suggesting you keep your Sliding Compound Miter Saw and look for a good solid 10" Contractor's or Hybrid tablesaw. While you can look for a used saw, I'd like to recommend Grizzly saws for both good price and solid performance. In the Contractor category, I'd recommend the 2 HP/220V G1044Z (about $720);
g0444z.jpg
while an excellent choice for a hybrid saw is the newer Grizzly G0748 (about $820)
g0478.jpg
If you've got enough money for a cabinet saw, get a Grizzly G1023 series machine -- I've got a G1023SLX and I love it!

Rob

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I agree with keeping the SCMS. I also keep one in my shop and use it frequently despite having a table saw, bandsaw and such.
Also there is the unspoken rule that you continually add tools. Reducing the number of tools in your shop can be justification for all of us to slap you on top of the head or think harshly of you. Resistance is futile, go with the flow and buy more tools!

cskipper

Cathy
I know you said that you have hung around the site for a couple of months. You have undoubtedly heard mention of the dreaded WoodGuy (WG) disease, and possibly even noticed the originator's latest purchase of a HUGE band saw. It really is somewhat like the 'he who dies with the most (and biggest "baddest") tools wins" kind of addiction :lol: This addiction does often encourage the need to build a bigger shop - though this is not always possible.

The other thing that Jeff has apparently learned (Jeff, resistance is futile), without falling prey to (yet), is the slippery slope of turning. Someone, sometime, will undoubtedly show you how to turn a pen on a lathe. It is so much fun that you will find yourself wanting a lathe and learning to turn all kinds of pens. Sometimes that's followed by the irresistible desire to learn to turn bowls and boxes and need a bigger lathe. The slippery slope refers to the fact that you will discover that the actual lathe is the least expensive part of the turning experience. All the other things (chucks, tools, etc...) are where the expense of turning hides.

I just thought a little more info might be useful. We're really glad you joined us. Don't let us pressure you into anything. So, if you happen to still want to sell your saw, I want first dibs!:lol: Again, welcome.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Thanks everyone. You've convinced me to keep the saw! I just need to build a more versatile stand for it (I saw one in an old Shopnotes issue that had fold down wings that looked pretty interesting)

McRabbet - I've had my eye on the Grizzly Hyrbird all along. I've also considered the Ridgid 3560 (cheaper of course), but I like that motor being out of the way on the hybrids. I've also looked at the Jet 708100. It's a cheaper initial investment for a newb like me but I'd hate to be trying to convince the wife a year from now on why I need to upgrade:roll:

Thanks again,

JT

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome JT, I'm a little late to jump on the bandwagon but I also agree to keep it. I wish mine was a slider.
Also I will very heartily recommend the Grizzly saws, I have a 0444Z and love it. They make good machinery at a good price.
MTCW,
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
JT, Welcome to the site!

I agree with the other recommendations to keep the SCMS. I personnally have the JET contractor saw which I am very happy with, however I have recently spent a lot of time on a Ridgid 3560 and have been very impressed. I really like the included mobile base, and the fence has a rip capacity of 36 inches rated, but I have run 37 1/2 inches on it, and it seems to have plenty of power. many of these cuts have been using a full kerf blade, and it has handled them easily.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
JT not much to add except welcome to the site there are times I wish my Compound Miter Saw was a slider. Glad you joined in and ask all the questions you want some will answer.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks everyone. You've convinced me to keep the saw! I just need to build a more versatile stand for it (I saw one in an old Shopnotes issue that had fold down wings that looked pretty interesting)

JT, if you want a really nice, compact and very mobile base for that Sliding Compound Miter Saw, check out the Ridgid MSUV at Home Depot. Great option for these type of saws.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
sell it, just look at all of us, we are nuts, we are addicted,

if you were an alcoholic would you go to the bar room to ask for advice. if you don't take my advice jsut go to your nearest home improvemt store and by a tool, you will want another, and another, and there is no 12 step program.

by the way did i mention that i would like to upgrade my compound to a slider :roll:

cskipper

Cathy
sell it, just look at all of us, we are nuts, we are addicted,

if you were an alcoholic would you go to the bar room to ask for advice. if you don't take my advice jsut go to your nearest home improvemt store and by a tool, you will want another, and another, and there is no 12 step program.

by the way did i mention that i would like to upgrade my compound to a slider :roll:

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

dozer

Mike
Keep it and just add more tools. A good to get the tools you want it to find the most expensive one of the type of tool you are looking for. Then when your wife is finally done having her seizure over the price of it you tell her you guess you can get buy with a less expensive one (this being the one you wanted all along) :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the group and good luck with the new tool purchases.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Jt, welcome to the best WWing forum around. I agree will all the others above....KEEP your mitre saw. Build you a mobile stand with wings on both sides and you will find many uses for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors