Another KD QS sycamore lumber run ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I had a person (name changed to protect the innocent) that committed to 1500 BF of KD QS Sycamore. The person was going to call me back and make final arrangements. Well that was several weeks ago and I'm not a pushy guy so I have not called them back. I figured something may have came up. I'm really glad I didn't pull the trigger and have my logger friend harvest the logs for me. Logs store best when they are left on the stump.

I also wanted to get some feed back from folks who purchased at the picnic. I've got some really good feedback so far, so I'm thinking of making plans for another run. I would like to get upwards of 1500 BF in good quality saw logs and got my eye on three prime forest trees that'll do it and perhaps a 4th to put me closer to 2000 BF.

If there is enough interest, I'll go ahead and finalize my plans, order the logs and wait for them to come in. I'm thinking prices should be real close if not the same as what they were for the last run.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7919

If Scott and I can repeat what we did for the last run the quality should be about the same.

If your interested please reply and specify thickness of either 4/4 or 5/4 and BF, by doing so it'll give me a good idea if there is enough interest to order the logs and start syncing things up.

Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
Please put us down tentatively (haven't talked with LOML) for 100 bf 5/4. The last batch was so gorgeous! Will post pictures of our coffee and end tables when completed - just stunning. We may need the NCWW express to get it a little closer to us for pickup.

J

jeff...

Gottcha Cathy, thanks for replying. I'm glad the last batch worked out for you. Yes PLEASE post pics, that's the best part, seeing what folks make out of the lumber I cut.

Thanks again

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Re 8/4, this is possible if Jeff can get committments 3000 - 3500 bd ft. 8/4 red/white oak and sycamore can be safely mixed in the same load, so the 3000 - 3500 bd ft figure can be based upon a mixed load.

I really need a larger load in the kiln in order to keep the costs down. 8/4 sycamore / oak will be in the kiln for 2 months, so the costs to dry 3500 bd feet of 8/4 is about the same as drying 2000 bd ft of 4/4.

Scott

J

jeff...

Scott and I discussed 8/4, I'm waiting for the right W/O logs to come along to QS along with Sycamore. I would like to do all 8/4 QS Sycamore, but at the time it doesn't seem that there is enough demand.

I gotta be fair to Scott, 2 months in the kiln is a long time and if his kiln is going to be tied up that long, I want to try and fill it to the brim.

Like I mentioned in my first post I had a guy that committed to 1500 BF of 8/4 QS Sycamore, if he would have followed through, it would have been ideal. Because I'm pretty sure I could get commitments for another 1500 / 2000 (QS Sycamore / Oak) from other folks. But since the guy never called me back to say go. I'm stuck here at the launching pad.

I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger of the 1500 of 8/4 QS Sycamore, else I would have be stuck with no buyer. Some people are strange, the retail seller guy told me my price of $4.00 a BF for 8/4 KD QS Sycamore was the best he's ever seen and was hot and heavy for the lumber. He called me back a few times to ask a few questions but would never say go, so I could pull the trigger.

In the summer months, once the logs are cut off the stump, the quicker I get them sawed into lumber and into the kiln the better the quality will be. So I have to make sure I have enough time reserved to saw them as soon as the are harvested and I have to plan with Scott to make sure his kiln is open. It's a lot of timing to get a good quality product. Scott can explain how time sensitive Sycamore is better than I can.

Thanks for the reply, if you have any questions please feel free to ask I'll do my best to try and answer them.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors