Another attempt at to get the this idea across

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Let me repeat what first brought this whole thing up. FYI, I tried to re-phrase a few things to lessen misunderstandings

...... For example. I offer free website hosting to our members, if the site is woodworking related. Assume for a moment that this option is very popular(it isn't). My resources to do this are somewhat limited, so at some point I would have to stop. So, to whom should I give these websites. The person who registers, requests a site and then after it is up and running, goes away and shows no interest in North Carolina Woodworker after that.

A few weeks ago, I was visiting a store in the Raleigh area and asked about getting a North Carolina Woodworker member discount. They asked how they could verify membership and would I provide a membership list including addresses. They were also concerned about the scenario above. They even cited the Hartville Tool discount offered on WoodNet. Everyone knows about it and you don't even have to be registered on WoodNet. The comment made was something like,"Maybe Hartville doesn't mind, but we would."

Then a few days ago came the unsolicited request to provide a way to offer to sell items with very good discount, but somehow keep it confidential. Well, we figured out to do it, but again it involves definition of who should be quakified besides being just registered.

... right know the criteria will have to be something vBulletin supports now. Post count and membership. So for now, the criteria will be 30 days and five posts, which is rather arbitrary, but it is the best I can do.

The first thing to be added has been a private for sale forum. This forum will be invisible to guest and members who have not yet meet the criteria. The reason for the invisibility is so that word of the sale or special offer does not get spread out all over the web. Or in other words , keep the sale or service confidential.

The Phrase "Active Member" seems to be the cause of some of the misconception and "panic". Perhaps, some of you might have a suggestions for a name or phrase. Remember what we are talking about is being qualfied for special offers from those people or stores who might wish to offer them.

Anyway, after playing with my ideas some more, the whole thing became simpler than I thought. The reality is that I am concerned with only 2 things, how long you have been a member and how often you visit. My first thoughts are having been a member for at least 30 days. and at least an average of 1 real visit a week. Once a member has 8 weeks of longevity, then the average of visits would be for the last 8 weeks.

Thoughts, please

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
SteveColes said:
and at least an average of 1 real visit a week. Once a member has 8 weeks of longevity, then the average of visits would be for the last 8 weeks.

Thoughts, please

real visit?????

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I think by real visit Steve just means logging in, otherwise you probably wouldn't be "tracked." Please correct me if I am wrong though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This is the south, a "real visit" means you got to "stay and sit a spell" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree with the log in, otherwise there would be no way of knowing that you visited.
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
DaveO said:
This is the south, a "real visit" means you got to "stay and sit a spell" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I agree with the log in, otherwise there would be no way of knowing that you visited.

Well, I sure am fix'in to do that......Spoken like a true native, yes?????

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
JohnsonMBrandon said:
I think by real visit Steve just means logging in, otherwise you probably wouldn't be "tracked." Please correct me if I am wrong though.
That's part of it. To understand completely would take a tutorial that would consume this thread. So just take it for granted that the system can tell if you logged in and then never did anything.(go to a new page). That wouldn't be a real visit.

I'm sorry I even used the term real visit. Now everybody will worrying about that and how I will screw them with that.:BangHead:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
Ok, maybe I need to explain a bit further, just in case. Suppose you have been logged in with the remember me box checked. You are now go away. Later, 10 minutes or 10 days you open your browser to NCWW, you just stared a new visit even though you didn't have to log in again.

Please everyone, let's not focus on the details of a visit. Most of you get many real visits a day, I am asking for one a week on average. Let's focus on whether people are comfortable with the concepts or have general questions.

Later if there is any real interest, I'll write a complete detail definition of logg ing in and out, real visits, etc and provide a flowchart.:crybaby2:

thrt15nc

Tom
User
SteveColes said:
I'm sorry I even used the term real visit. Now everybody will worrying about that and how I will screw them with that.:BangHead:

My participation in this thread is finished.

Tom

sapwood

New User
Roger
And well you should be worried Steve :oops:
Like DaveO, I immediately assumed a "real visit" meant we needed to stop by your place more frequently :lol:

Since exchanges on the forum are mostly "text-based" (excepting emoticons), there is a tendency to over analyze and/or take things out of context. Person to person conversations contain much more info gleaned from expresssions, body language etc. All of us have "misinterpeted" posts or made posts that don't come across as we intended. And being a new member amplifies that. So I appreciate your diligence and patience Steve . . . insuring clarity for new and old as the site continually improves with members, content, and reputation :icon_thum

Active Member is an appropriate term and the conditions you stated for maintaining that status are generous.

Sapwood being serious 8-O

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Steve,

I have no problem whatsoever with what you decide. I tend to find myself visiting the site at least 3 - 4 times daily, just to make sure that I haven't missed any of the great ideas and dialog exchanged on a daily basis. (I do sometimes find myself feeling a little guilty that I don't have more to offer in the way of answers to some folks questions.:BangHead: Like Sapwood trying to sharpen a 1" dowel, I even spent 30 minutes or so searching the Web looking for a jig or some little trick! To no avail!:crybaby2: )

So..........Keep up the good work, have another coffee and roll with it!

Lots and lots happy campers here!!

Wayne

Greybeard

New User
Pat
SteveColes said:
Let me repeat what first brought this whole thing up. FYI, I tried to re-phrase a few things to lessen misunderstandings

The Phrase "Active Member" seems to be the cause of some of the misconception and "panic". Perhaps, some of you might have a suggestions for a name or phrase. Remember what we are talking about is being qualfied for special offers from those people or stores who might wish to offer them.

Anyway, after playing with my ideas some more, the whole thing became simpler than I thought. The reality is that I am concerned with only 2 things, how long you have been a member and how often you visit. My first thoughts are having been a member for at least 30 days. and at least an average of 1 real visit a week. Once a member has 8 weeks of longevity, then the average of visits would be for the last 8 weeks.

Thoughts, please

Steve, I think I understand what you are saying..... But I would like to clear up one point if I may!

I don't think that I have signed of and on more than 5-6 times since I joined the forum. (that remember me box is nice) :lol: But I am on the forum 3-4 times a day, maybe more.

Having never moderated anything except an IRC channel, I am not sure what your control panel tracks. I know for the members, it is easy to see who is online at any given miniute. Does your software log when someone is on the forum without logging in (Remember me) or must they log in and log out after each visit.

It doesn't make any difference to me one way or another, the important thing is for you to do what need to make this work!

Pat

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
just keep on doing what your doing the system will know that each is a new visit when you have remember me checked. If the system shows you logged in then don't worry about. It is only if you go to site and it show you not logged in would you have to login.

R

rickc

I watching a rerun of Quantum Leap, and thought of you. My guess is you would "leap" at the opportunity to go back in time about a week and have a heart-to-heart talk with your ownself, about now!!!! :rolf:

Hang in there kiddo - maybe a retreat is in order, and scrap the idea for a while until all of those raw nerves have healed! :crybaby2:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
thrt15nc said:
My participation in this thread is finished.

Tom

Will someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Whose nerves am I fraying besides my own. I keep trying and it seems to get worse.

Like I seemed to have ticked Tom off, but I honestly don't know what I am doing.:eusa_booh

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Steve,

I think you are doing just fine... no problem. I'd bet we all agree with the concept. Maybe a few folks are worried about the implementation. I don't think we have any worries there either. Those who are worried are those who visit loads of times and will be tracked as real visitors anyway (so they should not have been worrying).

Is a visit more real, if you are covered with sawdust?

Ray

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ray Martin said:
Is a visit more real, if you are covered with sawdust?

Ray

Well, that depends. The algrothim depends on the weighted average of several items.

• Median particle size
  • Mixed with shavings
  • Wood type - the more expensive the higher the score, MDF has a negative weight factor.
  • How many cuts and bruses did you sustain in producing said dust. Each suture has has the same weight as 5 brusies.
  • Broken bones provide extra credit depending on bone see chart #123 for details
  • Partial traumatic amputation will be given the same weight as the number of stutures required to repair.
  • Complete traumatic amputation will recieve credit for both the suture count and each day in the hospital.
  • And has always been our policy, didn't happen without pictures.
:lol: :rolf: :lol: :rolf: :lol: :rolf:

And just in case ,,I am making fun of my original post. Not any of you.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Steve,

As others have stated here and in other threads, you are doing an excellent job provding this as a gathering place. I for one have come to find myself visiting (and logging on) multiple times per day to see what's new, even during "slack" times at work.

Over the past months my WG disease has been worsening and I find this helps to keep the symptoms under control when I can't spend time in shop. :lol:

Now since this is "your" system, I am sure what ever you decide you need to do, to track log-ons or visits will be fine. As stated, you can't make everyone happy all the time and more than likely over time you will end up ticking somebody off.

Keep up the awesome work, don't stress over it and user's will get use to it.

My $.02

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS