Annual MWTCA Meeting (Tools, tools and more tools!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I wanted to get people planning their lives around a very important evening coming up in July.

Two dates here are real important.

1. Early Registration, by July 18th (There is a big lunch spread, helps with the planing)
  2. Meeting, July 25th 7am - after lunch

If you happen to read the TWA newsletter, you will find a write up in the June 2009 Issue available online.

Here are the details Ed shared with me:
The annual M-WTCA Area Q meeting is scheduled for Saturday, July 25, 2009 at Ed & Kathy Hobbs' farm in Raleigh. This is a great opoortunity for those of you who like traditional hand woodworking tools (also foot powered machinery and some old woodworking machinery) to get together with others that share our interest.

M-WTCA is a national association dedicated to studying, preserving and sharing knowledge of tools. We are made up of collectors, users, people who like old tools, etc., and have over 3300 members all over the US. You can find out more at www.mwtca.org

The July meeting will feature many displays, a program of interest, buying and selling of tools, coffee, soft drinks, donuts, a good old fashion BBQ lunch and an auction. There are also plans for a large "reverse auction" (all tools start out at a certain price and the price drops each hour until they are all gone) in addition to our regular auction.

Those that share our interest are welcome to attend at the guest rate. Preregistration is required to ensure we have enough food and drinks. A late registration fee is added after July 18. In 2008, we had about 280 people attending. For a registration form or additional information contact Ed at hobbsed@portbridge.com
I hope to see lots of you out there. This is a good place to pick up all those wonderful old tools we frequently pine for. Pig stickers, dovetail saws, axes and maybe just maybe a few hand planes :)

Jim

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting this Jim! I'll be there. Carpool from the Concord/Charlotte area anyone?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Any idea of what the "program of interest" might be? I attended several years ago and the buy/sell was amazing along with the displays of very fine hand-tools (some of which cost more than my truck). The BBQ was great, but the "program of interest" was a dry as 200 year old wormy Chestnut siding from an old barn. The highlight was when a robust bodied fellow's chair decided to give up it's ghost, and he landed squarely on his robust rump.
I encourage all to attend especially if you have any interest in hand tools.

Dave:)

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I'd like to go and am up for a carpool. I can bring along a weak chair in case the "program of interest" is not exciting. :wsmile:

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
We've already been schemeing and making plans. If I start now, maybe I can take tools and set-up this year- I really need to thin the herd :roll: . Any requests?

hobbsed

New User
Ed
Our program of interest will be to let those people who bring a tool for the display (My Favorite Tool) stand up and give a very short explaination of why it is their favorite tool. Audiance will be asked to vote and we will award prize money for the 1st and 2nd place.

Will admit that we have had some programs that were much better than others. After 18 or so years, it is getting harder and harder to come up with things.

If anyone has a suggestion for 2010, please let me know.

Think there will be plenty to eat as well as plenty to buy.

Thanks Ed

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
More like 6:00 or 6:30 AM, these old guys kill me with their early hours. And I don't know why it has to be so blasted early :BangHead:. At some events like the national meetings, you need to plan on 5:30 or earlier. I guess the early bird doesn't get wormed, or at least get the good deals??

hobbsed

New User
Ed
Yes, it does and very likely there will be people here before that. Antique tool collectors are an early rising group and you know what they say, "The early bird gets the worm."

Will have to say that things are really going well by 7:30 to 8:00. We will have the program at 10 am and then the BBQ lunch and then the auction. By 2:30 - 3 pm most everyone will be packed up and gone.

There will be so much to see that it will take most of the morning to just get throught it all. If you have not been to something like this before, it is hard to imagine.

And then there is all the socializing, story telling, etc., with all those people who share an interest in antique/traditional tools. That alone can take a big part of the day.

See you mention scroll saws - if you have any interest in foot powered scroll saws or for that matter any type of foot powered machinery, you will have an opportunity to see a failry complete collection on display as well. That is the type of stuff that you can continue to work with when the power goes out!! You know - much more Roy than Norm..

Thanks Ed

SSuther

New User
Stan
Unfortunately, me and my family will be on vacation then, but to those who have not been, you owe it to yourself to go. Last year was my first to Ed's farm, and I must say I was astounded at the whole affair. Lots of tools, excellent food, and Ed's amazing personal collection make for a great day for a hand tool lover. I'll just have to wait until our Fall meeting, I guess.

M

McRabbet

We've already been schemeing and making plans. If I start now, maybe I can take tools and set-up this year- I really need to thin the herd :roll: . Any requests?
Randy, I might drop over to your shop between now and then and help pick out the pieces:eusa_danc you should sell to me, those :tool:your should bequeath to me in your will and those you should sell:5sigh: at Ed's BBQ. I'm planning on going to Ed's -- it is a great meeting:eusa_clap.

Unfortunately, me and my family will be on vacation then, but to those who have not been, you owe it to yourself to go. Last year was my first to Ed's farm, and I must say I was astounded at the whole affair. Lots of tools, excellent food, and Ed's amazing personal collection make for a great day for a hand tool lover. I'll just have to wait until our Fall meeting, I guess.
Stan, It is a shame that your vacation will keep you away -- I recall seeing you at Ed's last summer and also enjoyed your excellent talk in Waxhaw this year. We'll keep an eye out for any nice saws for you if you want!

By the way, Ed was being too modest in talking about the foot-powered tools -- he has a magnificent collection that you will definitely want to see. Especially all you scrollers!

poppop

New User
Don
sorry I will miss that but the balance is Oriental Tarpon Tournament or meeting - but goin fishin is as close to woodworkin as it gets. Have fun - I'll sent a foam seat pad if you need one.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Yeah, stop by my place on the way and let me have first choice. :icon_thum

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Yeah, stop by my place on the way and let me have first choice. :icon_thum

Mike, you really need to the meeting at Ed's, you would really enjoy it. Lots & lots of old tools, woodworkers and other talented trades people, good fellowship, and good BBQ, what more could you ask for??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors