An experiment part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In a continuing effort to think outside the blank, and to reduce my scrap accumulation, I decided to try another pen blank. I had the shop all set up to cut very thin strips of wood for a run of my free-form cutting boards and I said why not cut a few extra while I have everything dialed in. So I made some laminated pen blanks. Here's the result of the first turning:

Pens_018.jpg

And now my question, I can't just show pictures without engaging in conversation :roll:
I made more than enough blanks, these are cut on a sharper bias than the one I turned, for my needs. Would anyone be interested in them. I'll trade pen kits for them. They're probably only good for a slimline style kit as they are a little less than ¾" square (I was off slightly with the lamination).

Pens_017.jpg

If nobody expresses an interest in them soon , I think that I will glue them up as they sit in the pic and re-cut them and perform Experiment Part 3 (don't know the French for that :eusa_doh: )
What y'all think???

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Now that I jumped on your offer :rolf: That is a nice looking pen. I need to spend more time on the saw as soon as I can stand there for some time :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave I will trade you some kits for the blanks PM me:icon_thum

Nick, you've saved them from being further guinea pigs in my mad scientist wood shop :lol: :lol:
I won't glue them up tonight, we can get together later for the swap.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
[ I think that I will glue them up as they sit in the pic and re-cut them and perform Experiment Part 3 (don't know the French for that :eusa_doh: )
What y'all think???

Dave:)[/quote]

Part "trois"

Those are really wild:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

J

jeff...

Nick, you've saved them from being further guinea pigs in my mad scientist wood shop :lol: :lol:
I won't glue them up tonight, we can get together later for the swap.

Phew, Nick saves the day, I was afraid you would glue them up again and cross cut them :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phew, Nick saves the day, I was afraid you would glue them up again and cross cut them :lol:

Lord, have mercy on the catches I would have if I did that :BangHead: :BangHead: I glued up some offcuts from the main blank stock...and it didn't turn out so well :BangHead: :BangHead: :dontknow:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

The pen is beautiful. Now, as you consider what to concoct next in the [STRIKE]laboratory[/STRIKE] workshop, think about the season. How about gluing up some bloodwood and maple for the next pen... the red and white would make for a nice candy cane pen:)

Ray

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I turned one of Dave's experimental blanks today had a piece come unlamented but was able to save it. :icon_thum

Thanks Dave :eusa_danc My daughter stole this one before it made it to the house. :lol:

Attachments

• DSC00500.jpg
    DSC00500.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC00501.jpg
    DSC00501.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC00502.jpg
    DSC00502.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC00503.jpg
    DSC00503.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 218

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome Nick!!!! I like the sharper bias on those blanks. Hey, you ain't turning if pieces ain't flying. Was in one of the little pieces near the bushings??

J

jeff...

Wow that is so cool and look at that finish, Nick you got it going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS