All It Needed Was Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Last night for part of the program on jigs and tips at TWA, I took in my band saw blade. It's a 1/4", 0.025, 6 TPI, hook pattern, bi-metal blade. It has been on my saw since 1999. I've cut hundreds of little cars for Toys for Tots program, in addition to everyday use. Car bodies are cut from 2 X 4 stock. The cars are "Volkswagon style, and in that vain, I use lumber imported from Germany. I buy the lumber from Lowes. Before I took it in, I cleaned the blade just as you would a TS blade. Tonight, I reinstalled it and started cutting car bodies ( about 100.) The blade cut a lot better than last time I used it. A good cleaning was as good as a sharpening, IMHO.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I find the same to be true with table saw blades.. in fact, I am now in the habit of cleaning the blade when I take it off which makes it ready to go; no excuses for not cleaning it first.

bobby g

manfre

New User
Manfre
Cleaning my plunge saw blades made a huge difference. I was getting burn marks and it was due to the pitch that had built up on them.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005396/15321/Formula-2050-Blade-and-Bit-Cleaner-18-Ounce.aspx

I use something similar to this. I got a upholstery scrubber and a plastic bin from the dollar stores use that for my cleaning station.
Steve, your link seems to have a emote in the url. Here's the working URL for those who are curious.

Formula 2050 Blade & Bit Cleaner, 18 Ounce

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will go ahead & issue this caveat since I haven't seen Toolferone chime in:
DO NOT use oven cleaner on carbide blades. It will cause the carbide to fail.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Cleaning tablesaw blades and bandsaw blades. I put used(new or old will work) lacquer thinner in a cheap tray. Submerge the blade and let it sit over night. Some of the lacquer thinner will evaporate but not too much. The blades will wipe cleaner than you can imagine. I have used Simple green and purple power - no match for the lacquer thinner. Pour the stuff back in a can and use it over and over.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Baking Soda. Put 2 spoonfuls in a pan w/ enough water to cover the blade. Let sit overnight. Use a brass bristle brush to remove the dirt/grime. Dry it off. Clean as a whistle and cheap. :eusa_danc

Bill

terry1166

New User
Terry
I originally tried the CMT 2050 and it did a pretty good job of cleaning pitch residue from my blades. Then I read an article about Trend tool cleaner and decided to give it a try. The Trend removes in a few seconds pitch that I had to coax off with a brass bristle brush when using the CMT cleaner. I simply spray the Trend cleaner on the blade, let it work for a minute and then wipe the blade with a clean cloth. So far it's the best cleaner I've used. Woodcraft sells both the CMT and Trend blade cleaners.

Terry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use the EXPENSIVE STUFF. Awesome from Dollartree. Cost a buck a for a spray bottle. Avoid the colored, flavored stuff though. Just get the original one. On TS blades, I use lid from a 5 gallon bucket, spray blade and then hit with a tooth brush. On band saw blade, I put it on picnic table, sprayed it with Awesome, and a little water. Then used scrub brush from Dollartree to clean it . Rinse, dry and store.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Bruce, isn't that "LA's Totally Awesome"? I have used it to clean almost everything in my store, never considered using it to clean saw blades. Thanks!

GeorgeM

New User
George
I am with Bruce. LA Totally Awesome from the Dollar Tree is the way to go! You can't beat it.

Have a Blessed day.
George

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce, isn't that "LA's Totally Awesome"? I have used it to clean almost everything in my store, never considered using it to clean saw blades. Thanks!
One and the same. I stumbled upon LA's Totally Awesome some years ago. I was in Dollartree and a guy came in looking for it to clean carpet in an office that county had just vacated. He lamented about how they were a bunch of slobs, and only Awesome would clean up coffee stains from carpet. So I tried it, and it works.We no longer buy Greased Lightening, 409, etc. Instead we buy Awesome and put a better sprayer on the bottle. The sprayer that's on it is a POS, IMHO. The "orange" refill is also good, but the other "flavored" ones don't work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS