Air dried Walnut - 200bf for $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm interested! Have p/u w/6' bed and 6x10 trailer. I'm between Newton and Lincolnton. Available most anytime.:banana:

thrytis

New User
Eric
If a run is being made from the Charlotte area, i would be interested in 200 bf. I don't have the time in the near future to make the trip to Youngsville myself, but would contribute for the fuel.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I'd be in for 200bd/ft on the Charlotte run. Can't commit to actually being able to tag along but definatly will contribute to the overall gas fund for those picking up. Just let me know.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Well, if there's a Charlotte group buy I could go for 100bf if there's enough to go around. I've been telling myself "You don't have the room" You don't have the money" but what the heck. It's a good deal so I'll find the room & the $$$.

pete

DavidD

New User
David
I'd also be in for a Raleigh area run. I'd also be in for a "quater/half load". Seeing as I'm recently unemployed I have plenty of time to help (unless I happen to get an interview), I have a p/u with 6' bed, and I can pull a trailer, but don't have one myself.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
If a Raleigh area run materializes, I'm in.

I'd like a full 200bf, but realistically, I can probably only manage to store 50-100 or so. I'm sure I can free up some additional space if I need to though. Been meaning to build a vertical lumber rack anyway.....

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hi kids, I've been away a while, but an opportunity to pick up some walnut has come up. You old timers on here will remember a year or so ago we tried to help Charlie Wilson get rid of his stash of walnut. Well, Charlie just called me.

Hey Jim, is this the thread you are talking about
where you mentioned a year or so ago trying to help someone in Youngstown unload their walnut?

"
UPDATED 10,000-15,000 BF walnut"
http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20884

Guess you were right about it being an attempt to help him sell. I don't see any posts about a successful transaction or any pics of the wood.

There is a mention at the end of the thread that the seller backed-out and only wanted to sell the entire 10,000-15,000 BF walnut to one person, and the seller had people coming to look at getting it all.

He's willing to make a deal. You get 200bf of old old air-dried walnut for a crisp Benjamin Franklin ($100 ). However, you CANNOT pick and choose. He has a large pile, you take the first/closest 200 board feet and hand Charlie a hundred dollar bill. NO picking.

Re-reading that thread, I'm guessing that the buy-it-all options he choose to move to didn't pan out for him and he's ready to re-try here. And that the need for the lumber to be gone within a week due to foreclosure didn't occur.

For this attempt to sell his lumber stash on the forum, has anyone scouted with some pics they can show potential forum buyers?

Turtlewood

Ken Hensley

New User
Ken
If I wasn't in Afghanistan I would jump on 200bf in a heart beat but I won't be back till April.:tongue2:

Ken

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The funny thing is that he couldn't find one buyer at the time and I was one of the people to buy it from him. Both times I went to pick it up there were at least 12-15 NCWW members pulling off the pile and loading it in trucks. If you need a scout for walnut that is 50 cents a board foot, which is recommended by members, then you must miss out on alot of good wood deals:dontknow:. I've gotten 8/4 WO for $1 bd/ft, 4/4 BW for $1 bd/ft, QSRO for $1.50 bd/ft and Cherry for $.50 bd/ft and more, all kiln or air dried, from member recommendations on this site.

He who hesitates loses !

BTW, he originally had over 15,000 bd/ft (the pile was at least 10'h x 24'w x 12' long) now he has less than 6,000 bd/ft.

Hey Jim, is this the thread you are talking about where you mentioned a year or so ago trying to help someone in Youngstown unload their walnut?

"UPDATED 10,000-15,000 BF walnut"
http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20884

Guess you were right about it being an attempt to help him sell. I don't see any posts about a successful transaction or any pics of the wood.

There is a mention at the end of the thread that the seller backed-out and only wanted to sell the entire 10,000-15,000 BF walnut to one person, and the seller had people coming to look at getting it all.

Re-reading that thread, I'm guessing that the buy-it-all options he choose to move to didn't pan out for him and he's ready to re-try here. And that the need for the lumber to be gone within a week due to foreclosure didn't occur.

For this attempt to sell his lumber stash on the forum, has anyone scouted with some pics they can show potential forum buyers?

Turtlewood

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Anyone in the Winston Salem / Greensboro area geting in on this deal?

I'm happy to pay $100 + expenses for anyone who could drop 200bf on me in NW Greensboro (or even on the way back to Charlotte) -

Larry

bwat

New User
Bill
No room has never stopped me before. If anyone is pulling together a Charlotte area run I'm interested in 200 bf. Currently out of commission with eye surgery recovery but will contribute to expenses.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
No room?
No problemo! There's always sky.
Anybody got a ladder?:rotflm:

stack_o_wood.jpg

I'm in for 200BF if there's room on the Charlotte run. I can also volunteer to go along to help load. Just let me know Dan.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I would be interested in 50 - 100 Board Feet from a Cary / Raleigh group buy. Depending on the day, I might be able to come along and help.

thrytis

New User
Eric
It looks like probably over 2000 bf of interest for a Charlotte run:

decibel - 200-400
mxracer - ?
robb parker - 400
sawman101 - ?
thrytis - 200
shamrock - 200
petem - 100
bwat - 200
tarhead - 200

Based on JimmyC's comment on the pile size (10'h x 24'w x 12' l), it is probably up to 12' long boards. Does anyone have a truck and trailer that would haul that? Given woodweb's lumber weight calculator, 2000 bf would probably be around 6500 lbs.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Based on JimmyC's comment on the pile size (10'h x 24'w x 12' l), it is probably up to 12' long boards. Does anyone have a truck and trailer that would haul that? Given woodweb's lumber weight calculator, 2000 bf would probably be around 6500 lbs.

New thread with info on the run from Charlotte here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=339545#post339545

I have the means to haul that no problem.

Here's what I'm thinking/my offer.

Being that I work for a bank I have Thursday off and have taken Friday as well. So I was thinking of running up Thursday (could be convinced to go on another day if Thur is out of the question for everyone) . That would give everyone time to either send/bring me the $$$ for their wood or plan on making the trip with me/us.

From my door to Youngsville is aprox. 195 miles or about 4 hours. So I won't be have time/be able to deliver to anyone in the Charlotte area, 8 hours of driving in a day is enough. Everyone would have to pick up at my place. I have room to store the wood either in a building or at least under shelter for a while, but will also be available Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun for pickup if you want to get it that weekend. After that we'll just coordinate but I work from home so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I can take 3 x-tra people with me if someone sits in the middle in the back. It's a crew cab truck and my GF is most likely going.

I called and talked to Charlie and he said he's pretty much available any time. I told him I'd call him this week if I/we were coming to see him.

[STRIKE]To be honest about it if it's just me going I'm still on the fence about it cause of the drive, but if others commit and we have a good run going as Eric mentions above I'm all in.[/STRIKE]

UPDATE: There are at least 2 others that are in for getting wood so the run is ON.

If you're in, PM me and I'll shoot you my cell number and we can plan.

Thanks
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS