advice needed G0691 vs G0651

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidD

New User
David
Hi all, I need a bit of advice.

Now that I've broken the non-flat Ridgid granite top tablesaw (thank goodness for AmEx purchase protection), I'm ready to order a new, better table saw. I was ready to buy Grizzly's G0691. That is until I saw Grizzly's black friday ad. This puts the G0651 at a very similar price to the G0691. Now I just cannot decide which one to buy.:icon_scra:dontknow:

I only see a few main differences between the two: the G0651 has an outfeed table, a digital bevel idsplay, and a couple extra inches in its rip capacity; but the G0691 has about 20% greater arbor speed than the 651 (4300 RPM for the 691; 3600 RPM on the 651). I also cannot tell if there should be a difference in vibration due to the power transfer setup (triple V-belts for the 691 vs a flat - I assume poly-v - belt for the 951).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. - I have such a terible time trying to make this sort of decision.

Thanks in advance,
David

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
A few differences..the 0651 comes with a digital angle read out, an outfeed and side extension table, it has wider dado capability, and a slightly deeper (by 1/16") cut at 90 degrees....

Oh the choices ;-)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I can't comment on the operational features, but I've seen both tables at the Grizzly showroom. I like the fence on the G0691 better, and the extension table is made of higher quality material. Having said that, the storage space on the G0651 is nice. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to replace the outfeed/ extension table material on the G0651, or build an outfeed table & storage shelves for the G0691. The digital readout on the G0651 is quite handy, but the G0691 has a slightly larger area in front of the blade (12" vs 10" I believe). So you may end up having to flip a coin.

I believe the G0691 is newer in design than the G0651. The G0651 was Grizzly's first cabinet saw with riving knife, the G0691 is the third (the contractor saw G0444 was the second I believe).

eyekode

New User
Salem
I recently bought the G0691 so I am biased. I have never seen a G0651 but there are extensive threads on sawmillcreek about these differences. I read them and don't really understand why it is more expensive. Looking at the manual a couple things jump out: The rails are ~11" longer. Most of this is capacity to the left of the blade. And it looks like the riving knife requires tools to put on and take off. This would really reduce the effectiveness in my mind because I would be much less likely to use it :).

If you go for the G0691 just buy it over the phone and mention wood magazine and they will give it to you for 1215$ shipped.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Reading through the specs I would say the G0691. It has more cast iron in front of the blade being the primary reason.

I am sure you will be happy regardless of which one you get. They both appear to be substantial saws.

PS - Use the riving knife. I can truly see how they eliminate/reduce the potential for kickbacks after having one for awhile.

Umich684

New User
Jake
David,

I use the 12" 5hp version of the 0651. It also has the triple V belt you mentioned. That is such a benefit to avoid "motor resonance" I must also say the table setup looks cool in picture but I was surprised how much space it took up! As well the under table space is very in-efficient without drawers or more shelving. I ended up removing the out-feed table completely and building a full size workbench at the same height. I was a little dissapointed in the durrability of the tables. I see myself changing to phenolic or plastic in the future.

The Left-tilt was surprisingly useful. It all feels 'right' so to speak. One disadvantage I have was that when using dados the measurement on the rail isn't correct, but who doesn't measure twice anyway right?!

I agree that the most significant difference is in the fence. The 0651 has a far superior rail system with an outstanding fence. I have had 0 issues with mine.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS