Advice for Entertainment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
We have a large oak entertainment center that is a great piece of furniture, and definitely the heaviest thing in our home! But, I'm thinking of getting a flat screen TV and the wall behind the current EC is the place I want to mount it. I'm hoping to sell the current piece, or possibly trade it. It's solid oak with glass doors.

I'll need somewhere to house the components of our system, and I am thinking of building something that would be about 48" to 60" in width, and no more than 30" high.:icon_scra Have any of you done something like this recently. :dontknow: If so, do you have pics or plans? I also would like the option of mounting the flat screen on top of this unit.

All input appreciated. Thanx.
:wsmile:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Reggie,
My current project is taking our old tall/skinny Cherry EC, dissassembling it and re-assembling it low and horizontal. I had to add a sheet of 3/4" Cherry Ply for the top and sides and some solid trim. Re-used the old sides and door/drawer fronts. The bases on the new skinny LCDs are very secure and the proper mounting height is much lower than what we're used to...middle of the screen even with your eyes at seated level. May want to try it before you get the wall mounting hardware. The top of my cabinet is 22". (Do you really need that TEAC Reel-to-Reel and 8-Track player?:gar-La;)
Good ideas from here: http://www.thejoinery.com/furniture/living/entertainment/index.php

Good luck finding anyone wanting your old one for other than firewood.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Reggie,
My current project is taking our old tall/skinny Cherry EC, dissassembling it and re-assembling it low and horizontal. I had to add a sheet of 3/4" Cherry Ply for the top and sides and some solid trim. Re-used the old sides and door/drawer fronts. The bases on the new skinny LCDs are very secure and the proper mounting height is much lower than what we're used to...middle of the screen even with your eyes at seated level. May want to try it before you get the wall mounting hardware. The top of my cabinet is 22". (Do you really need that TEAC Reel-to-Reel and 8-Track player?:gar-La;)
Good ideas from here: http://www.thejoinery.com/furniture/living/entertainment/index.php

Good luck finding anyone wanting your old one for other than firewood.

Are you saying 8 track is out? :elvis:OMG, what will I do with all these tapes? :dontknow: Oh well, I can still play them in the truck I guess! ROFL!

I've considered your suggestion, just don't know if I can rework this to make it decent.

Glennbear

Glenn
Are you saying 8 track is out? :elvis:OMG, what will I do with all these tapes? :dontknow: Oh well, I can still play them in the truck I guess! ROFL!

I've considered your suggestion, just don't know if I can rework this to make it decent.

Good luck with your EC build. My current one is 90% particle board so I will be starting from scratch when the time comes and I rather like the one that Geoff linked to and I already have that edition of Woodsmith. Take heart in knowing that you are not the only who still has some "old media" lying around. One of the requirements for my EC will be a place to build in the turntable from an old console stereo so I can play the 33 1/3 vinyl I inherited from my Dad. :wsmile:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
What style/type of EC are you thinking about? Lots of great ideas already suggested and the web has an unlimited supply of photos of EC's to get you started.

One of the requirements for my EC will be a place to build in the turntable from an old console stereo so I can play the 33 1/3 vinyl I inherited from my Dad. :wsmile:

Glenn, you're not thinking about dismantling that beautiful console are you?:no: That's gotta be a keeper!:icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
What style/type of EC are you thinking about? Lots of great ideas already suggested and the web has an unlimited supply of photos of EC's to get you started.

Glenn, you're not thinking about dismantling that beautiful console are you?:no: That's gotta be a keeper!:icon_thum

:BangHead: Since you have given an unbiased opinion of the aesthetic value of that particular piece I will rethink my plans, perhaps replacing the clear glass doors with smoked ones to hide the unneeded wine bottle /stemware storage. :wsmile:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Jack, sorry to hijack your thread:slap:

:BangHead: Since you have given an unbiased opinion of the aesthetic value of that particular piece I will rethink my plans, perhaps replacing the clear glass doors with smoked ones to hide the unneeded wine bottle /stemware storage. :wsmile:

Glenn, why change it from it's original design? Just turn some nice stoppers, use empty bottles and cheap stemware. That way you still have the original piece displaying contents it was designed to hold. No one needs to know your glutenous friends drank all the wine!!!:gar-La; Just my .02...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I did this for a customer last year. it's about 48" and fits in a corner. they mounted a flat screen on it. it's not much over 24" tall but I'm pretty sure it could be done taller.:wink_smil be sure to provide plenty of ventilation for the components.

IMG_8894.JPG

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice one Fred!

I built a similar design but went with a full width center door and two smaller doors on the side. Oh... and not nearly as well executed :). http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/tv-stand-21569/

Some things to think about:

• 19" wide is a good opening for an EC cabinet. No components will be wider than this.
  • Some components are really deep. My receiver is > 20" deep.
  • I like removable panels on the back of an EC. Makes it much easier than trying to pull wires around.
  • You need good air circulation. I like the ideas that Salamander Designs puts into their products. They use black perforated metal for the sides and fronts of many of their cabinets. http://salamanderdesigns.com/

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Hey Reg... 8 tracks went out with 78's - get with the program already :gar-La;

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Reggie,
I made one a couple of years ago. There's some "in progress" pictures in my gallery. Designed it myself based on the dimensions of my components (61Wx24Dx22H). Hope this helps.
4_2008_029small.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great thread!
Outstanding ECs folks :icon_thum
Fred, Reg will have to figure out how to get the Victrola in there :rotflm:

FWIW, ya could add a tube Ipod dock/CD player for under $3000 :gar-Bi
MC-3000_lg.jpg

Yep, tubes are still going strong,
Roger

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We're moving the wood stove to the living room to get more heat in there. So the tv will probably get hung on the wall and an iPod will replace the stereo. Bass is over-rated don't you think? :dontknow:

Seriously does anybody have a recommendation for a compact stereo with good sound, lots of inputs and NOT $3000?

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I bought all the components for my system yesterday and was going over the palns for my EC in my head. I realized I hadn't accounted for the sub woofer. My plans call for an equip bay in the center with disc draws on either side. Whole base unit will be 5' long. Any thoughts?

eyekode

New User
Salem
I bought all the components for my system yesterday and was going over the palns for my EC in my head. I realized I hadn't accounted for the sub woofer. My plans call for an equip bay in the center with disc draws on either side. Whole base unit will be 5' long. Any thoughts?

Depends on how many components you have. But I use the center compartment of my EC for my sub (I actually built the sub to fit). I am going to rebuild my EC eventually to account for a large center channel as well. And when I do I will probably build my sub directly into the cabinet.

Here is how it looks today:
69CG1566.sized.jpg

But I like big subs :).

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS