AAAndrew comin' aboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Greetings to all.

I guess I should introduce myself before jumping too far into the pool. I live in Durham (that's North Carolina, not England), and I'm married with one son, who's 3 1/2. Some here may or may not recognize my screen name from the Old Tools list. Yes, I'm a Galoot and will even admit it in public. It's not that I have any religious tendencies around it, just that I don't have a great deal of money to spend on woodworking, I like to keep all the parts of my body attached as long as possible, and my workshop is in a spare bedroom of our house, which precludes powered machinery but lets me work much more comfortably than a garage. Trade-offs everywhere.

I have ambitions for building furniture. I've built a few pieces and been pretty proud of how they came out, considering, but I'm starting to know enough to know how little I know, if you know what I mean.

When I first moved down to North Carolina from Michigan, my wife was still up North for about 6 months. I lived in a two-bedroom apartment and took the opportunity and brought what little workshop I had down to my apartment. I built my first real piece of furniture at that time, a tv table. Not knowing better, my first project using only handtools I bult out of rock maple. Lovely experience, which makes just about any other domestic hardwood project easy by comparison. You can see some photos here.

My current, and hopefully not-too-much-longer project is a Ruobo-style bench designed after the one in Chris Schwarz's book. Pictures, including a few shots of my workshop, can be seen here. As of this writing I've only finished the base and figured out how I'm going to build the wagon vise. (a project in and of itself) Considering I get only two-hours-a-week in my shop, when I'm lucky, that's doing pretty well.

What I like about woodworking is the process as much as the finished product. My paying job is one involving technology, organizational change and a whole lot of meetings so it's not always easy to get a sense of "job well done" when what you produce is so intangible. Woodworking gives me a chance to do something physical (can't wait to plane flat the hard maple top to my bench), something that I can point to and say, "I made that." It also takes me away from the normal stresses and cares of the corporate world.

What I like to do when I'm not woodworking? Well, I like to cook (actually I like eating a whole lot better and since I'm the best cook, I like to cook). I'm one of those annoying low-carb people and will try to keep that part of my "religion" to a minimum, but I do love me a piece of meat. :eusa_danc I also love to travel, and my wife and I got quite a few chances before our son came along. We haven't done much for the last few years, but once he gets old enough we'll be back on the road.

One of my biggest regrets ever, looking back, was some years ago, I had just started looking into this thing called woodworking, we had traveled to Austria. We were driving through the countryside and saw a sign for an Antique Barn (in German, obviously). We followed the signs and arrived at the old farmhouse and the owner opened up the barn for us to take a look around. I now know that the huge pile of curious old iron in the back of the bard was probably 200-300 old goosewing carpenter axes, some looking positively medieval. I didn't get anything. It would have been worth lugging one of those beauties around, but, alas, I knew not what I saw. The price of ignorance is high, my friends.

Anyway. As you can tell, I have a tendency to talk too much, not drink enough and generally I'm pretty harmless. I'm an old dad (45 with a 3-year-old, what were we thinking?!?) with an older hobby who is glad to be here. Thanks for the welcome.

AAAndrew

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Andrew, it is great to have you on board. Fine intro also!!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great intro Andrew! Welcome to our merry band of woodworkers. We have a great time here and love to have new folks join the fun! So, jump right in and have a good time! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome to the group Andrew ! I, too, am an older Dad (49yo w/ daughters 6&8 and understand what you are going through. I like your abilities with hand tools and look forward to increasing my use of them.

Enjoy the show and keep being a part of it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hi Andrew,

I remember you from the Porch. I used to read a lot but never posted much.

Welcome again.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Andrew! Being a galoot is a good thing, but I'm a fledgling at that part of woodworking. Your work is most admirable and I enjoyed viewing your shop. This group loves pictures and we have an unlimited gallery for members to upload their own pictures and it is easy to post them in threads (just read DaveO's thread in the FAQs forum).

Happy to have you here.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Well, you did admit it , before I called you one.....Galoot. :mrgreen: welcome to our corner of the interwebz.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Andrew! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That is a NICE tv table you made. I enjoyed the intro and the pictures. Hats off for doing the work you do in such a small shop and with handtools. :swoon: This is a really great group of folks. Feel free to jump right in. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Andrew!!:eusa_danc

Some really nice craftsmanship in building the tv table!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I am looking forward to seeing more of your handwork with the planes and chisels!

Post often and by all means have fun here.

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the party, Andrew. Nice intro and I especially liked your "story" about the table.

You obviously already know we like pictures around here. I'll give you a big "YOU ROCK" for including them in your intro.

Enjoy our friendly community and contribute often.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome Andrew - glad to have you with us - like the others have said, great intro - looking forward to seeing some of your work

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Andrew, WELCOME!
I like the TV stand. Nice work.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welocme Andrew. Sounds like you have a good case of WGD. It will get worse. But we can help. :gar-La;

augden

New User
Rob
welcome Andrew. I wish I could have seen that barn. Some of the best tools I own have come from yard sales, thrift stores and dark crevices out of peoples basements and garages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors