Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A couple of months ago a fellow miller, Frank Seaforth, called me and told me that he was passing along a slabbing opportunity for a 203" circumference black walnut that was practically in my back yard.

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
THANKS FRANK!!!!!!

After speaking with the owner's rep, turns out that the tree was black oak and not black walnut.....
rolleyes.gif
and it was larger than 203"
cheesy.gif
Now that's what I call a "Texas medium" sized log! :D

The tree was located in an inner court yard at Meredith College in Raleigh, and it was dying. The University folks wanted to see the log recycled instead of going to waste, which is where I got involved.

Unfortunately there was no way to get a crane, or even a trailer into the courtyard. Fortunately a skid steer and backhoe could be threaded through one entryway; otherwise it would have been very difficult if not impossible to tackle this project. The college hired a tree service company to remove the canopy and drop the log for us during Christmas break.

Normally I prefer to bring large logs to the mill, as it is easier having all of the support equipment available. In this instance it wasn't an option so we loaded up the slabber and took it to the log.

After mobilizing the equipment we trimmed the 32' log into a couple of 13'7" ones. Both logs were over 75" at their widest points so we had to do a little trimming in order to get them within my 72" max cut.

Scott_and_logsC.JPG

We used the skid steer to roll them apart and set up the slabber and commenced milling. Due to the height of the log, we slabbed 20" off in the first pass and set it aside for later re-slabbing. Talk about a dancing skid steer! We had to sling it in order to get the CG a few feet behind the back of the forks.

The_jobsiteC.jpg

After taking a 7-1/2" and a few 4-1/2" slabs off of the log we placed the 20" slab back on and milled it into 4-1/2" ones. After that we started on the second log and then placed the bottom portion of the first log onto it for finishing. I designed my slabber primarily for quartering 40" logs, or cutting larger ones into thirds for subsequent reprocessing on Tom (my Baker bandmill), so there are a few idiosyncrasies that we have to work around when slabbing.

slabbing_the_upper_logC.jpg

Many of the slabs had some really nice color and spalting:

Pretty_spalting.jpg

Getting the slabs out of the courtyard was a challenge (the smallest ones weighed 2,200 lbs and the largest ones over 4000 lbs). First we tried wheeling them out like a wheelbarrow with a hand truck under one end and the skid steer under the other. We trashed the hand truck after a few slabs, so we tried tag-teaming between the skid steer and the backhoe. It worked but was a synchronization challenge. Finally we used the backhoe forks on one end and a sling to support the other end, and threaded them through the opening just enough to where we could pick them from the side with the skid steer. Ultimately we got them all out.

Wheeling_them_out.jpg

After six trips with the truck and trailer (two to mobilize equipment to the site, two to haul slabs back, and two to mobe back out), here is the final result; I think that it was worthwhile. The slabs have been treated with Timbor and placed in the air drying barn. Looks like it will be a few years before I can recover the investment, but I hope that these will turn out to be something special.

Scott_Bon_and_Shea_slabv2.jpg

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Great post Scott and amazing work! I hope we get to see some finished photos of where these slabs end up.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
That is so weird, I was just going to ask if you had any 32/4 oak around 40" wide. I guess I can cancel that order at Home Depot now.

K

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's absolutely amazing. How do you determine the weight of these slabs?
Scott picks up one corner of the slab and says yep that about 4000lbs. Scott it makes me feel so good knowing you took on the job and save that work of god from the chipper. You alresdy know those slabs go for some serious money at least two pieces of kevins zebra wood

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would hope the school orders a nice conference table for about $20,000 to commemorate that ancient tree.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good stuff Scott! I can imagine that all going for firewood, the chipper, or a landfill without someone capable of managing such large pieces-regardless of the accessibility issues! Finesse at its best.
Great story - a service to the school and the tree. And, Kudos to the other miller for passing that one along!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,
First thank you for saving that tree, second thank you for taking pictures and sharing it with us.
What a FANTASTIC story to tell!

I agree with Todd, I think you might just want to change your avitar - but Ethan might need to make the picture a little bigger! ha ha

I thought about it and as Mike Davis pointed out it would be neat to make some commemorative stuff. (A conference room table would be pretty cool!)
I was wondering if you have some smaller pieces to purchase, maybe pens or boxes could be made by some NCWW folks along with a story of where the wood came from and basically create some Meredith College commemoratives!

If people are willing to donate the labor and
Meredith College willing to put the items somewhere for sale, it could be a win-win situation!

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Scott, those slabs are absolutely amazing! WOW provides the best reaction! I'm thoroughly impressed!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Spectacular work there Scott! Just the shear mass of that old boy blows me away.

As an aside, I can identify with that tree. Our two youngest daughters graduated from Meredith and I remember it in the courtyard where they would hold post graduation receptions.

That's for sharing the great story.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS