Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What a great story and chronicle with pics. That is pretty wood that needs a new drying shed and 4" x 6" toothpicks for stickers.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very cool stuff! I can't believe that oak wasn't hollow. And I bet some alumni would be interested in a conference table or dining room table.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Scott, I am glad that there were no metallic "surprises" which are often prevalent in trees that close to structures.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I bet some alumni would be interested in a conference table or dining room table.

I know the person who is in charge of their alumni association. If desired I can touch base with him to see if there may be interest from the alumni side.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
What king of portable mill cuts through a log that big?

If there are smaller pieces, I would be interested in a few pen blanks or smallish bowl blanks.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I know the person who is in charge of their alumni association. If desired I can touch base with him to see if there may be interest from the alumni side.

Many thanks for the kind offer. It will be a few years until the slabs have air dried enough to be ready to go into the kiln. Let me visit with my contact at Meredith to see if they have any objections to making the alumni aware of the project. Typically there are a lot of people upset when a tree is removed before it is completely dead, and I would not want to create any angst.

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
What king of portable mill cuts through a log that big?

If there are smaller pieces, I would be interested in a few pen blanks or smallish bowl blanks.

The homemade kind....

Commercial dedicated slabbers are sold by both Peterson and Lucas; you can probably find a video of one in operation on YouTube.

What makes mine unique is the depth of cut (20"), and the 72" cut width is on the wide side too.

Most commercial dedicated slabbers are a fraction of that depth.

Scott

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
So, is it a round blade mill, like the swing blade mills I've seen? So to cut 72", you have to have a 150" blade? That strains what little engineering training I remember from NC State.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Now that's what I call a woodshed and even though I didn't like my dads woodshed at all as a youngster. I think I could spend lots to time in your woodshed looking over those big slabs.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great job Scott. As others have said, it would have been a tragedy to see that beauty go to a landfill. Your write-up will be good to use when you start to market those slabs. Potential buyers will find the history interesting.

As for that being a "Texas Medium", I'd like to see a "Texas Large"? :gar-Bi

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Cool tree..love the 'barley-twist' effect of the trunk in the first photo.

Did anyone get an estimated age of the tree ? The buildings in the background are from what, the 1920s-1930s ?

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS