A scroller's question for sawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I do have a question for sawyers in general. I realize that "you guys" would probably not find cutting thinner wood financially feasible. As a scroller, 4/4 thickness almost never is useful to me. I don't have the ability to re-saw wood (current location of LOML versus shop), and even if I did, a little wood goes a really long way for me. Do you ever cut thinner stock or have usuable (for scrollers) waste?

cskipper

Cathy
What?

I cut 1/16, 1/8, 1/4" all the time.

Are you asking for scrap wood or want some thin stock wood cut?

The sizes you mentioned plus the 3/8, 1/2, .... I am going to teach an intarsia Christmas ornament class (not my strong suite, but I'll give it a whirl) and need 1/8 and 1/4 in several different species, including basswood. I have used several sources online but woud rather steer my purchases (few as they may be) to NCWWer's. Beyond the class, I really don't have much wood even in the 1/2-3/4" thickness. I rarely use this thickness, and need only a few feet in length of these because I live (most of the time) in an small apartment. 3/8" is my thickness of choice for trivets, etc... My kitchen/dining area has my scroll saw, drill press and wood. I guess that would only be considered "not odd" by another woodworker.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used to work on the dining room table all the time until I built my little shop. Matter of fact I was recovering from the flu and did a little carving last night at the table. Quick vac of the floor and all is well.

I'll try to cut a few pieces for you. I owe you still, so this could be my chance to make it right.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cathy, how much do you need? I have some off cuts and can re-saw you some.

cskipper

Cathy
You guys rock! The regular instructor is an amazingly talented man. I went to his class the other evening to see what he patterns he was using for a 4 hr class. The first technically is more segmentation than intarsia - a poinsettia. But it did give new scrollers a feel for scrolling, and the importance of making pieces fit together. So I'll do that one. The other he did was a rocking horse. The folks who had scrolled before got through both (with no time to spare). My class will be on a Saturday, so technically it is 6 hrs instead of 4. Woodcraft had not pushed the class until they knew they had someone to teach it, so only 1 person has signed up so far. There could be as many as 5, possibly 6. The one is an experienced scroller. I figure on having the poinsettia for introduction. Then I'd like to have wood ready to cut for at least several of the others. One thing the usual instructor does is to have the class cut the pattern out of white board (plumbing dep't at Lowes), a backer and a spare "backer/pattern". Since it's intarsia I don't want to use ply for the backer, guess I could for the spare. All this said, I probably only need a couple of boards of several woods - something red-ish, light brown, dark brown, white-ish, yellow-ish, maybe green. I can get some of it from a BORG, but not all. Meanwhle I have got to get practicing. This is the one part of scrolling that I feel the least secure about. What have I done??

The other part of the original question is do any of the member sawyers saw/re-saw to the thin sizes I normally use when scrolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS