A few bowls I finally finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
The top one is Ambrosia maple with a walnut foot,14 x 9" and the other one is maple burl 11 X 3" . Both are finished with my own danish oil mixture after sanding to 800 grit,then let dry for about two weeks then sanded again with 0000 steal wool and more 800 grit,then buffed with tripoli,then a good coat of carnuba wax.Any comments appreciated and thanks for looking.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Very nice!
I like the shape of the footed maple/walnut.
How did you do the highlight rings on the burl bowl?
Are they cut grooves with a filler/finish rubbed in or something else?

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Super nice bowls Ken.
The pedestal bowl gives me ideas for one I am working on now.
Were the rings on the maple bowl burnt in with wire?
Mike

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
WOW,thanks form all the kind words,as I really appreciate it.
Phillip I went thru the bottom,(not on purpose) :gar-Cr So I just turned it around and mounted it with the cole jaws,then cleaned out the hole,then turned the ft and glued it it,then dressed it up.I do a lot of those an NONE are planned :no:
As for the highlight rings,I remount it using my Nova chuck,then I turn up the speed as fast as I dare and mount my revolving faceplate on the tail stock so it won't fly apart and run it up against the inside bottom,using a pad so as not to scratch the inside.Then I just use a thin parting tool to cut the groove,then take a piece of piano wire and hold it in the groove untill it starts smokin. :kamahlituIf you try this,DON'T wrap the wire around your fingers :no::no::no: I have the ends taped up,so that if it does catch and pull out of my hands,I still have all parts an no cuts.
Hope this helps someone if they want to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS