4' wide planer available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LondonBob

New User
Bob
I am looking to avoid hand planing a curly maple table top that is over 3' wide. Does anyone know of a shop that feels sorry for lazy woodworkers for a small fee in or near Charlotte?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Bob! Welcome to the group! Maybe some one will chime in with a wide belt sander. You can check with some of the local cabinet shops and see what they will charge.

By the way, we have a "Who we are" section. Please post a little about your self and what projects you like to do so we can get to know you!

Whereabouts are you in Charlotte? We have a good group around here that likes to get together every once in a while.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Bob, depending on how much clean up is required, but this sounds like either a job for a wide belt sander or rip,joint, plane, rejoin, then the sander. There are some helpful members on the site that can probably help you.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
A wide belt sander is the best you will do for cleaning up a top that size mechanically. You will have to pay an hourly rate and probably a minimum fee unless you have a buddy with a 3 foot drum .

The only other alternative is hand power planing and sanding.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is the actual width? Wide belts come in 37, 43, and 55" widths. A performax 22-44 will do 44" in two passes so finding someone with a drum might be easier.

LondonBob

New User
Bob
Sorry to take so long to get back to you Ed but I am in the Dilworth neighborhood near downtown in Charlotte. My shop is located over my garage and I'm a one man show for now. Still trying to get my feet under me but really only taking custom orders because I am also a stay at home dad.

How about yourself?

LondonBob

New User
Bob
I haven't actually built the top yet but was trying to get my ducks lined up. I am still pretty new and don't know any cabinet shops to ask about sanders but that is a good idea. I was thinking planer but a sander would probably do the trick. Final width will end up around 40" and I was hoping someone around here had something or knew someone who does.

How are things over in Wake Forest?

LondonBob

New User
Bob
Thanks Kyle. Are you still selling slabs? I have someone who might be interested in a breakfast nook table with a wany edge.

LondonBob

New User
Bob
Thanks David, I think a wide belt sander is probably the way forward I just need to find someone who has one that will let me pay for some time on it.

Bob

PS I liked your quote about "a good cup of tea". I did my training in London am got used to drinking it daily.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
At the moment it is cold in Wake Forest. Tool wise, depressing.....

As for wide belt, you are going to need to ask around for a 43" unit. I have a 37, but that would be too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS