3 New Tools, 2 Homemade

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Here are three new additions to my shop. The Woodjoy spokeshave was acquired during the Hartvilletool cost+10 special. I have been very pleased with it. The shave was used in the creation of the handles for the burnisher and the hammer. Both of the handles were done with out a lathe.
IMG_4463.JPG

The head of the hammer came from a busted machinist hammer from the shop at work. A little time on a belt sander and with a file and most of the 10+ years of abuse were removed. I left some dings for aesthetic reasons. I did remove the 1/8” bulge from the edge of the faces that had mushroomed out from all whacking of steep parts. I used the original pin hole and a spring pin to secure the head to the new handle.
IMG_4464.JPG

The burnisher is a 5/16” dia. carbide rod. It is the shaft from a broken lathe tool. The shaft is polished and should be perfect for burnishing my scrapers. The brass furl is a compression nut out of the scrap bin. I filed off the corners and rounded it up on a piece of pipe in the drill press/mini mill. I used epoxy to secure the rod and nut.

Thanks for looking.

LeeNC

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice! I really want to make a spoke shave one of these days. They look like a fun project. Making your own tools is a lot of fun isn't it!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sweet!

They look like some gems. If you want to make another burnisher, I'm more than happy to hold onto the prototype :)

Jim

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Thanks for the complements. The tools were fun to make. Mush faster than most of the regular "projects".
LeeNC

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good work and I like your economical thinking.

I made a few hand tools when I was a lot younger. I'll try to dig them out and make a pic.

I am sure some more folks make tools here, show us what you made.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Nice job on the burnisher handle. I've got to make some chisel handles one of these days for some big ol' pick stickers I have. Just a little low on my list at the moment. But I appreciate when I see what others have done in that area.

AAAndrew

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good work on the handles, Lee. Great save on the hammer head, too. It was destined for the big dumpster in the sky, you know.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Thanks! I hate to see all of the usable stuff that gets tossed out at work. I have more Lexan an small odds and ends of aluminum than I know what to do with at the moment. I am lucky in that I can pay scrap value for the stuff (~.17/lb) and fill out some paper work and take it with work's blessing. There are a lot of jigs and fixtures I "plan" on building, but don't currently have the time.
LeeNC

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice work.

Is the Woodjoy flat or curved? Is it easy to adjust, etc?

Cost plus 10 is a great deal!

Chuck

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Flat and very easy to adjust. It uses 2 set screws to set the blade depth/opening and you then tighten the blade to the set screws. Start with it closed and adjust each side 1/4 turn at a time. It is a piece of cake. It came with the Allen wrench for the screws.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Thanks. I am very happy with my first attempt at tool handles. You never know what you are capable of until you give it a try. Next up, a second burnisher and some marking gauges. After that, I think I will finally take a shot at a small shoulder plane I have been kicking around.

SSuther

New User
Stan
One of the joys of being handy is taking something that might have been thrown away and making something useful from it. Nice work!

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Thanks Stan. It has been a while since we last talked. Most of of that is due to my infrequent posts. When is the next local MWTC meeting?

SSuther

New User
Stan
The next Mid West Tool Collectors Assoc. meeting is this coming Saturday at Bethania Moravian Church near Winston-Salem. I'll post some more detail later this evening.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
I'm going to have to miss another one. I will be swimming 2.4 miles down at Wilmington this weekend. I am going to do the swim for an Ironman relay team Saturday morning. Do you know of any shops worth checking out in downtown Wilmington? Enjoy the meeting.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I've never run across any, not to say they're not there. I'd like to know if there are since I'm in Wilmington usually once a year when we vacation at Oak Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors