3 1/4 hp router options?

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I ordered a Triton 3 1/4 hp router motor for my router table at the end of the year and it is on back order. Woodcraft said it would be February, but now Triton they say they are not sure when they will have it. The Bora gets bad reviews on amazon. I just noticed that Grizzly has one available. Can anyone recommend a 3 1/4 router motor that will fit the 4.2" router lift my Incra? Should I consider getting a used Porter Cable?

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I don’t know if either would fit, but I’ve liked both my PC 7518 (it’s in my table) and Milwaukee 5625 (which is 3.5 hp). I was told the PC is better for a table - there was something about them being upside down and the PC being better able to handle that though i don’t recall what it was. I use the Milwaukee for hand work when I need something big, but it’s a heavy one to haul around.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Did you order the TRA001 or TRA002? When I was looking a couple months back it looked like the “2” was back ordered but the “1” was available. From what I could figure out, the “2” had some quality issues and Triton was working on them.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Did you order the TRA001 or TRA002? When I was looking a couple months back it looked like the “2” was back ordered but the “1” was available. From what I could figure out, the “2” had some quality issues and Triton was working on them.
I ordered the Tfbr001. it's the motor only. The 1/4 "collet is also back ordered.

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Definately check out the Milwaukee 5625 3.5hp. I have had one in my router table for 15 years now without an ounce of trouble!

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User

I don’t know if either would fit, but I’ve liked both my PC 7518 (it’s in my table) and Milwaukee 5625 (which is 3.5 hp). I was told the PC is better for a table - there was something about them being upside down and the PC being better able to handle that though i don’t recall what it was. I use the Milwaukee for hand work when I need something big, but it’s a heavy one to haul around.
I have two Milwaukees, One I am replacing on the router table. I've liked them both. The one one on the roster table is 2 1/4 hp that has finally given up after 12 years. The 1 3/4 hp I've had for 15 years. I'm not really sure why I didn't consider the 3 1/2 hp.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Highland Woodworking, carries the Triton 3.25 hp unit 310.00 in stock now
I don't think that model will fit in the Incra lift that I have. I ordered it from Woodcraft because it was the only place that offered the motor only, and they offered the 1/4" collet. It was only after I ordered it that it was on back order.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I have the big Triton TRA001 and was considering slapping that baby in my router table. I have the larger Harvey cast iron router table top and the Incra (JessEm) lift.

I was just like you . Triton TRA001, Triton TFBR001, Woodpeckers, Bora, what.. what..?! Too many options and a lot of mediocre, or poor, reviews.

I sacked up and ended up buying the JessEm Pow-R-Tek SR. It works flawlessly in the Incra (JessEm) lift.

My table isn't fully built (no drawers)... but I can make a video of it, if you like, and share.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
NOT trying to hijack the OP!

A little tease:

PXL_20230903_194343697.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I have about 90 pictures, from beginning to where it stands today, so I can post those somewhere.

As far as dimensions, ummm, what are those? Just kidding. Well, I just winged it, so hopefully that will be ok?

Currently, I have too many projects going on, so I am not 100% sure when I will finish with the drawers, pulls, etc.
But I will be happy to post all of my pictures, the router table top, router fence, router lift, and router. Just like every current "cool kid on the block," I can also post a video on my YT channel (just started it, so no judging 😛).

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Check the Woodpeckers site. They have a 3 1/2 horse router motor specifically for a router table in a lift. I have the PC big horse in my router and hope it never gives up the ghost.

CJRedd

New User
CJ
Sounds like you might have already decided against the Bora. All I can add is that I have had no trouble with my Bora in an old Jessem lift. Some of the reviews on Amazon read as if the unit was damaged in handling. Bought mine direct from Bora. That may be a difference.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Go figure about the reviews, but the Bora 3-1/4 HP router motor we purchased from Woodcraft has worked reliably in our community woodworking shop for the past 3 years. Very smooth, not a hitch, and so far very reliable. It gets regular, but not hard, use. We use it in a JessEm router table and lift.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Sounds like you might have already decided against the Bora. All I can add is that I have had no trouble with my Bora in an old Jessem lift. Some of the reviews on Amazon read as if the unit was damaged in handling. Bought mine direct from Bora. That may be a difference.
good to know

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Go figure about the reviews, but the Bora 3-1/4 HP router motor we purchased from Woodcraft has worked reliably in our community woodworking shop for the past 3 years. Very smooth, not a hitch, and so far very reliable. It gets regular, but not hard, use. We use it in a JessEm router table and lift.
that's good to hear

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS