22-Piece Forstner Bit Set - $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Is this a good deal? I need some of these...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17283

36191-01-200.jpg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
that looks like the same set I picked up at HF(same price, too!), I haven't had any issues yet!

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Looks like a OK set. Not high end but better then the road show no name ones.

But do you need all those sizes? A big set looks nice but I, like most it seems, use just a couple sizes for most bits.

Here is a 7peice for $11.49
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10615

But if you know you will use all those sizes and put it to good use then go for it. For me I might get the 7pc and then just basic ones from HF, or other cheap ones, if I need a special size but will only use once or twice.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have a similar-looking set from HF. Assuming they are at least of equal quality, I will say that they are excellent, for the price.

My take on buying cheap sets is: it is a great starting point. It is true that I may not use all the bits in that set, but having that wide selection has already saved me a trip to the store in the middle of a project. Some will say that you're better off spending money on higher-quality bits -- when I wear one out - then I'll replace it with a higher-quality bit - with confidence that I will actually use that size :>

(I've done the same with router bits - bought the MLCS 66-bit set a few years back. It's great knowing that just about any bit I'll ever need is in there)

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
All of these are good points. I had some money in my PayPal account that was burning a hole in my virtual pocket. So, I went ahead and ordered the set. I will let you all know how they work! Thanks for the input.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce Wrenn has a great approach to router bit sets that will work in this case. Buy the bargin prices set. Keep track of the ones you use over the year. Any sizes you use more then a couple times replace it with them with quality bits.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Woodcraft sent me an email flyer this AM with this set in it:
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=147069&FamilyID=774&refcode=08IN11RL

Fewer bits than yours, but y'day they also mailed me a $10 gift certficate good on anything in the store. So for ~$13 I can get 10 bits. That works out to $1.30 each and I just cannot pass that one up! Looks like I will be making a trip tomorrow. Now if only I can restrain myself to just this one thing ...:gar-Bi

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I went to Woodcraft to get the set on sale. But, they were sold out. I got the set I ordered in the mail today. They will work well for me. Of course, I have never had a forstner bit before so I don't know good from bad. I do know that I was on the floor on hands and knees looking for a screw I dropped and accidentally ran my hand across the bit. It left a good cut! The bits made quick work of the SYP. I was amazed how quickly they cut. The bench looks better with the lag screw heads recessed. Now, I need to find or figure out how to make some plugs to cover them.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
............ The bench looks better with the lag screw heads recessed. Now, I need to find or figure out how to make some plugs to cover them.

In a pinch, I have drilled a 3/4" (or 1/2") recess with a forstner bit and picked up a piece of 3/4" (or 1/2") dowel rod from the Borg. Slice off pieces of the dowel and glue it into the recess. Worked like a charm!:wsmile: (I didn't have to run out and try to find a 3/4" plug cutter.)

HTH

Wayne

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I thought about that. But, I don't have any dowels so I will have to go to the store anyway. May as well buy a plug cutter! :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS