2009 Calendar Contest is now open for entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Guys, I am sorry, but I have not had a chance to review pictures. But just a quick look tells me most ARE NOT acceptable. Either they are not in portrait format and/or do not meet minimum resolution standards.

Please review the submission standards that are in the first post.

SUBMISSION RULES:

* All pictures must be submitted with a description that is suitable for inclusion in the calendar.
* Each picture must be capable of being re-sized and/or cropped into a picture that is 8 1/4" high and 5 3/4" wide and maintain at least a resolution of 200 dpi but 300 dpi would be considered ideal. At that size, there must be 1/2" border that could be trimmed off without cutting off any of the project image.
* Do not lower the resolution of your images, please submit them at the highest resolution that you can.
* Do not upconvert your pictures resolution.
* You may submit as many pictures as you want in as many categories as you wish.

However, after voting has ended, if you have won more than 1 prize, only one prize will be awarded, in one category, and only that picture will be published. You will receive the prize money for the highest level prize you have won. But the Webmaster in consultation with those staff members who have NOT entered the contest will decide which winning pictures are shown in which categories.

* The staff reserves the right to move entries into what they feel is the proper category
* COVER SUBMISSIONS - The entries will be the same as other years. They must cover a 9" high by 11.5" wide area at, at least 200 DPI, but 300 DPI would be better. The cover should composited so that a 1/4" border will NOT be displayed due to full bleed printing.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just a reminder to everyone. The entry deadline is drawing near. Y'all have less than a month to submit your entries. I have just gone through all the entires submitted so far and moved the ones that are too small to be utilized into the Disqualified Entry album. Remember the image must be at least 1650 pixels tall x 1150 pixels wide or (8¼" x 5¾"), anything smaller than that just can be used no matter how beautiful the piece is. There was some spectacular work entered that was just too small of a image. I really hope that some of those entries can be re-size and re-entered as they would be sure winners.
Thanks everyone for helping to make this years calendar a success.
Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Would Someone try and explain to me dpi and how to find or change the resolution? I want to enter but I get more confused everytime I go through this thread.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe that the dpi is a rating of pixels per inch. The best way to deal with that is with your camera. Most camera have settings for picture quality. You should be using the "best" picture setting. If it's not done there, it can be altered in a photo editing program. The greater the dpi the better the image can be enlarged without getting grainy.

DavidF

New User
David
I guess that we are in the "early sales" period that ends Sept 2nd? How do we go about buying calendars?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I guess that we are in the "early sales" period that ends Sept 2nd? How do we go about buying calendars?
Actually, I haven't set that up yet. My bad. I have gotten ovwrwhelmed again. I may have to change some dates, etc.

I'll be getting back into the calendar shortly. But at this point I do not think we have enough pictures that qualify in all the cats, to even hold the contest. I'm not sure of that, but I think that is the case.

DavidF

New User
David
Actually, I haven't set that up yet. My bad. I have gotten ovwrwhelmed again. I may have to change some dates, etc.

I'll be getting back into the calendar shortly. But at this point I do not think we have enough pictures that qualify in all the cats, to even hold the contest. I'm not sure of that, but I think that is the case.

Understand fully , no problem. I do hope we can get enough input to continue with the calendar, it would be great shame if we had to cancel.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
COVER SUBMISSIONS - The entries will be the same as other years. They must cover a 9" high by 11.5" wide area at, at least 200 DPI, but 300 DPI would be better. The cover should composited so that a 1/4" border will NOT be displayed due to full bleed printing.

Does this mean the FINAL size is 9x11.5 the cover simply staying about a quarter inch from the side, or is the final size 9.5x12 with an inside bleed of a quarter inch? :XXfridge:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

My apologies for not being a computer guru to be able to be certain my submissions qualify. When will I know for sure?

Jerry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

Don't count it out yet ... still trying to get my picture(s) ready. I have to figure out a way to take a professional looking photo without a professional photographer.

striker

New User
Stephen
For what its worth, I will have some photos to post stortly. I have contracted with a professional photographer so I hope we continue with the calendar contest.

I forwarded the submission specs verbatum to the photographer so I expect the photos to meet contest requirements without incident.

Thanks, Stephen

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
BUMP!

COVER SUBMISSIONS - The entries will be the same as other years. They must cover a 9" high by 11.5" wide area at, at least 200 DPI, but 300 DPI would be better. The cover should composited so that a 1/4" border will NOT be displayed due to full bleed printing.

Does this mean the FINAL size is 9x11.5 the cover simply staying about a quarter inch from the side, or is the final size 9.5x12 with an inside bleed of a quarter inch? :XXfridge:

Jon

New User
Jon Todd

I dont understand the criteria for the picture. I see where majority of the pictures submitted were disqualified.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I dont understand the criteria for the picture. I see where majority of the pictures submitted were disqualified.

I was wondering the same thing. My picture got disqualified like a bad habit ... and no reason that I was told (yet). I kinda feel like a dumba$$ because I read the instructions and still got disqualified!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeremy I didn't disqualify your pic but I would guess it had something to do with the resolution. When I resized your pic to the parameters of 1650 tall and 1150 wide (or as close as I could get) this is what I came up with -

QueenBedResized.jpg

This is as much of a photo contest as it is a woodworking contest. Your bed is awesome, but the pics suck. You need to shoot it in the highest resolution you can. Ideally 300 dpi to start then crop and size the pic to fit within the parameters. Keep in mind that we are wanting to have two pictures per page, so you need something that is taller than wide.

HTH,

DaveO

New User
DaveO

What don't you understand so I can hopefully explain it

All pictures must be submitted with a description that is suitable for inclusion in the calendar.
Each picture must be capable of being re-sized and/or cropped into a picture that is 8 1/4" high (1650 pixels) and 5 3/4" wide (1150 pixels) and maintain at least a resolution of 200 dpi but 300 dpi would be considered ideal. At that size, there must be 1/2" border that could be trimmed off without cutting off any of the project image.
Do not lower the resolution of your images, please submit them at the highest resolution that you can.
Do not upconvert your pictures resolution.
You may submit as many pictures as you want in as many categories as you wish.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy I didn't disqualify your pic but I would guess it had something to do with the resolution. When I resized your pic to the parameters of 1650 tall and 1150 wide (or as close as I could get) this is what I came up with -

QueenBedResized.jpg

This is as much of a photo contest as it is a woodworking contest. Your bed is awesome, but the pics suck. You need to shoot it in the highest resolution you can. Ideally 300 dpi to start then crop and size the pic to fit within the parameters. Keep in mind that we are wanting to have two pictures per page, so you need something that is taller than wide.

HTH,

Something is wrong there then .. the picture was taken at 7MP and should size correctly as needed. I have Photoshop and can resize it nicely without that (agreeably) horrible loss of quality. That stinks for sure and I'd reject it too! I will mess with it on my end and see if I can get it better and closer to that final size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS