2009 Calendar Contest is now open for entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, you are essentially correct. Last year we had several pictures thta basically portait views, but were formatted by the submitter as landscape. We made them work. But that was partially becuase the photographer did a good of making the best of a bad situation. And we did the rest.

Since we are going to print 2 up this year, the portrait view is necessary. do the best you can with framing and please leave as much border as you can. Also, remember that the 1650 x 1150 is the minimum. you can make it bigger, so long as I can get the above ratio with the picture in it. The more pixels, the better chance i have of getting it to work.

Oh, another approach is to put 2 landscape pictures, one above the other. They could be the same project oe 2 different ones as long as the both are in the same category. Last year Chris Mathes, made a single picture of 9 seperate pictures of different pens

ok. unfortunately the pics I have are the only ones taken.:tinysmile_cry_t: the projects have either been sold or given away or are sitting in various galleries skattered across 3 states.:embaresse looks like I'm omly going to be able to enter 1 or 2.:dontknow: If I can find the originals that haven't been sized down for posting...... Oh well... guess I might as well start lookin forward to 2010.:BangHead:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think that there is an unwritten rule that no beautiful clocks are allowed:rotflm::rotflm:

J

jeff...

Ok I just uploaded a picture to flat work - small - let me know if it's ok or not.

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ok I just tried three times to upload and finally it got there. is it useable? the first 2 tries were 300 dpi. 1st attempt was almost 55 megs!:gar-La; 2nd was 93 megs!:rotflm: you DID say 300 dpi correct?:notworthy: down sized a little on the third try and success. I am still a little oversized so you can crop it if needed........ :roll: you still like me steve?:swoon:

J

jeff...

ok I just tried three times to upload and finally it got there. is it useable? the first 2 tries were 300 dpi. 1st attempt was almost 55 megs!:gar-La; 2nd was 93 megs!:rotflm: you DID say 300 dpi correct?:notworthy: down sized a little on the third try and success. I am still a little oversized so you can crop it if needed........ :roll: you still like me steve?:swoon:

??? it has to be 300 DPI - what program do you use to adjust the DPI ???

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
??? it has to be 300 DPI - what program do you use to adjust the DPI ???

yup! 200 DPI min and 300 DPI is ideal. the first attempt to upload was a PSD file. then I found that it wasnt an accepted format so when I converted it to JPG it grew from over 50MEGS to well over 90MEGS. THEN I got LOML to size it down a little. so now its down to 2.6megs. I'm using a 6 megapixel camera and abobe photo shop to resize. and of coarse it does inches but I wasnt smart enough to do inches.:cry_smile cameras and computers are definately not my forte'. think I.ll go build sumpin now!:gar-La;
If this looks like it will work I will see if I can find more pics and work with it. if it gits rejected then I've already wasted to much time screwin round with it.:rolleyes:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
200 DPI required, 300 better.

When you save a converted PSD to jpg, it should give you the option of amount of compression, usually on a scale of 1 to 12. Use 8-10, that by itself will reduce the file size

BTW, I won't have a chance to examine photos until later in the day or this evening, sorry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

When you save a converted PSD to jpg, it should give you the option of amount of compression, usually on a scale of 1 to 12. Use 8-10, that by itself will reduce the file size

BTW, I won't have a chance to examine photos until later in the day or this evening, sorry

no problem steve. take a look and let me know if this pic will work. then i can redo the images and clean em up some. I'm haveing to do this third party and the party is slack when it comes to me!:rotflm: I'm much better with wood!:gar-La;

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

FWIW - That's 300dpi at the size it will be printed. For example: If you open the image from your camera and it comes at 14" wide and 72dpi and you just change the resolution to 300 dpi without also changing size you will end up with one very large file. So what you should do is first set the image size in inches to the print size and then change the dpi to 300.

pete

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Regarding submitting entries in the 'Cover' category: Is it okay to use photos from another members photo gallery or is it proper protocol to ask that member for permission?

Ernie :dontknow:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Regarding submitting entries in the 'Cover' category: Is it okay to use photos from another members photo gallery or is it proper protocol to ask that member for permission?

Ernie :dontknow:
Once they are submitted, they can be used. But it would probably make a better cover, if the entries that end up in the calendar are not repeated on the cover.

BTW, while not necessary, it probably would be polite to ask anyway.

DavidF

New User
David
I have just posted a pic in the gallery, could somebody take a look and check the sizes etc. I think it should be ok, but let me know.

DavidF

New User
David
I have just posted a pic in the gallery, could somebody take a look and check the sizes etc. I think it should be ok, but let me know.

Any news on this???

BTW, when I did a search on posts by me in order to find this, it didn't come up

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I tried to upload a picture last evening and then again this morning and neither seemed to work. It said the upload was successful however I don't see my picture. I uploaded the same image this morning when I didn't see my update from last night. Maybe I did it wrong? :dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DavidF, from what I can see your pic looks great to me.

Shayne, I am not finding any pictures uploaded by you recently.

Dave:)

jack briggs

New User
jabguit
I don't see in the announcement where one is supposed to send their entries. Can someone answer this?

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS