1st Scrollsaw / Bandsaw project

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedAS

New User
Ted
This project all started with a post from PeteM. Thanks Pete, I had more fun with this project than I had in the shop in a long time. The design is by Clayton Boyer. He has many designs to choose from. It took me exactly 1 month to build. I started it April 25 and hung it in the living room May 25. It keeps great time and is a pleasure to watch and listen to.

The frame is Guyana Rosewood, the gears are made from Baltic birch ply, and the hands and decorations are made of Padauk.
The weight is turned from Birdseye Maple and hollowed out and filled with lead.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of my creation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eEtOSgOgE4

Thanks for looking,
Ted

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Excellent :icon_thum
Great choice of woods. I especially like the sapwood left on the tips of the frame.

1st scrollsaw project??? Did you really hand cut those gears :wink_smil (Just kidding)

Is the singer Rebecca Snow? I found the cut (Summertime) but can't find anything else by her.

pete

nelsone

New User
Ed
That is great! The wood works great together. I do have a hard time believing that is your first scroll/band saw project! You really did a heck of a job!

TedAS

New User
Ted
Thanks for all of the compliments everyone. Clayton Boyer designed the clock, I just selected the wood and followed the plans. Clayton is the artist not me.:wsmile:

Excellent :icon_thum
Great choice of woods. I especially like the sapwood left on the tips of the frame.

1st scrollsaw project??? Did you really hand cut those gears :wink_smil (Just kidding)
I have my dad's old 16" scroll saw sitting on the floor under my workbench for years and never thought abour using it. When I dusted it off and went to use it the linkage flew apart. The old thing made my teeth rattle. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

I actually cut most of the teeth on the bandsaw and then fine tuned them with the 1" belt sander. This method was very easy and went faster.

Is the singer Rebecca Snow? I found the cut (Summertime) but can't find anything else by her.
This cut is from Wayne Hancock's Thunderstorms and Neon Signs album. I could not find any info on the artists.

pete

Ted

cskipper

Cathy
WOW!!!!!!!!! I agree that the designer is an artist, but the skill it took to take it from paper to reality is also art! That's awe-inspiring!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

sawduster

New User
Robert
:eek: Most excellent !! :banana: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

You're every bit an artist as is the designer. Designs are just that ...designs. It takes an artist's hand and heart to breathe life into them :wink_smil

ya done good :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ted,

That looks great! I wish you had brought it to the meeting, I would love to see it up close.

I have dreamed of making a wood clock since I was a child. Something I just never felt well qualified to tackle.

How complete are the plans you ordered? Is everything laid out and explained well? Would you recommend that project to a beginning scroller?

Man! I really want to build a clock!

TedAS

New User
Ted
Thanks again everyone!

Ted,

That looks great! I wish you had brought it to the meeting, I would love to see it up close.

I have dreamed of making a wood clock since I was a child. Something I just never felt well qualified to tackle.

How complete are the plans you ordered? Is everything laid out and explained well? Would you recommend that project to a beginning scroller?

Man! I really want to build a clock!

Mike, I agree it would have been great to show this on Sat. but it is screwed to the wall.:eek:
You can do this! :icon_thum
I don’t know about other plans that are available but if you like any of Clayton’s designs his plans are very well done. He sends all of the patterns printed from his CAD software. All of the patterns are well labeled and his instructions are well written. He likes to use Baltic birch ply for his clocks for its strength and stability. I thought cutting the wheels was going to be the hardest part. But it was much easier than I expected. I think cutting the teeth on the band saw is the way to go. I cut close to the line and dressed to the line with a 1” belt sander. I bought this sander from HF when it was on sale for $25
The hardest part for me was the frame. I made some design changes to aid in assembly and hanging.
Mike if you want to talk in detail PM me and we can arrange a phone call.

Ted

meredj

Jesse
Corporate Member
Hey Ted, that is one fine clock. You described it the other day but I had no idea it was that intricate. Gonna be calling ya Boris Jr before long!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors