1st Cigar Pen and the Death of the Next Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Well here is a scan (sorry) :-? of my 1st cigar pen. 1st let me say that for the most part this is a pretty easy kit to do and it does make a great pen. All went pretty well for this one the Blackwood turned easy, assembled easy. It was the next two that resulted in the death of two pens. :crybaby2: As I said its an easy kit to do if you keep your mind on the project at hand. What I did was reverse the two center bushings so went a great looking tulipwood and ambrosia maple blanks if this was not bad enough one of the kits center couplings was not threaded. But all was not lost I took an assembled the tulipwood blanks, by putting the gold disk under the center coupling, and pressing in the center band with out one (was a bit prord of the blank) and it worked well enough for my wife to claim it. So I quess really only one pen and a 2nd kit death.:BangHead:

The moral of the story, don't get into a rush, make sure the bushings are in the right places (from now on I'll check with a caliper), check your kits for any defects.:eusa_booh

James

Attachments

• cigar.jpg
    cigar.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 140

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The scanned one looks great.
If I am not mistaken you re the first person to ever get the bushings mixed up for a cigar pen.:eusa_doh: (yeah right!)
In the future this may help you to remember the order.
Starting from the headstock and the nib end(reverse if you put the top of the pen at the head stock (some do).
Smallest
second biggest
Biggest
second smallest.
I always double check the arrangement using that little memory jogger.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, I mixed up the bushings on my first one too. Managed to put it back on the lathe and fix it, but that was a struggle.
Great looking pen, the cigar is becoming my favorite kit to make, good looking and not too expensive.
Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
That's a nice looking cigar pen.Even with using digital calipers mistakes can be made. That's why put number on those bushings. Also why you always order extra tubes!

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Been there,

Done that.

Got the t-shirt.

And yes, extra tubes are the thing to have. I ALWAYS order an extra tube set when I order a few pens, particularly if I've never made that pen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS